We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

The official site of Florence state Museums has added the possibility of buying museum tickets online. See http://www.firenzemusei.it/ and click on the left (click on the English version at the bottom of the page!!). It would seem like the scalpers have their days counted.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

It seems they currently only have their inventory of tickets up through 12/31/07. But this is great, Anon!! I knew about the english-speaking reservation phone number, but wasn't really looking forward to that overseas charge.

Note for anyone else, there doesn't appear to be any additional charge than if you called up and made the reservation yourself. I did a mock order for the Uffizi and the site charged me for the special exhibit combo without giving me the option to decline it. If there is no special exhibit going on, then no worries, right?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

Thank you, Anon.

You are a very good girl.

I had no idea and this will be most helpful.

Road

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

I was so happy when I saw this- saves me from calling Italy- but I tried with two different credit cards and got this:

La transazione non � stata autorizzata. La preghiamo di controllare i dati forniti. Se il problema persiste si prega di contattare l'ente che ha rilasciato la carta.

I don't know any Italian but it looks like they can't process either of my cards.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

I had the same problem when I tried to make reservations online for the Secret Itineraries Tour in Venice. I think it has something to do with our credit cards. Somehow, these overseas transactions get blocked. I just called to get the reservation, so I didn't pursue the matter with my bank.

For those who need to call Italy for accomodations or reservations, an international calling card is so valuable. I call Europe all the time - Italy is currently 13 cents/minute, Ireland is 11cents/minute. I got my card at Costco and can add time to it over the phone.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

>curse10

I know a little Italian and looks like your transaction was not authorized. You can use Google's translating machine to get an idea of the message - It doesn't translate perfectly, however:

The transaction was not authorized. Please check the data. If the problem persists, please contact the institution that issued the card

I've had the same problem with my credit cards when booking train tickets. I found using my Visa-Debit card, linked to my checking account, worked for me.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

Maybe I'm destined to not make reservations :-)

I tried calling but I just get a recording telling me it's the reservation line, but never tells me how I can make said reservations.

I called my bank, no problem with the card, should work. Tried again, no luck. Tried another card, no luck. The Italian Tourism Gods are not shining down on me today :-)

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

Curse 10 - is s now almost 5pm in Florence. I would have thought the reservaitons office would have been open until at least 5pm, but maybe the it was closed when you called and that is why you got the answering machine or voicemail. Why not try again tomorrow, but a little earlier?

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

Curse10, (talk about an appropriate name with your luck in booking ... jk) It's after 5 o'clock in Florence right now. I don't see what the hours of the phone line are, but I would try again early tomorrow.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

The recording says they are open until 6:30 (18:30) (and my guidebook confirms). I'll try again tomorrow when I wake up- thanks everyone for their help.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breaking news - firenzemusei ticket purchase online!!!

Sorry curse10, I promise you it's worth it at the end! Today it's All Saints day so most probably the phone service is closed.