We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Barga

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to Barga

Has anyone done this trip, aside from driving? Is the most sensible way to travel between these 2 places by bus, via Lucca? Then, on the return leg, I'm off to Venice. I thought I'd go by bus to Florence, and then by train. Is that a sensible idea? I don't mind walking, but need advise about distances between bus/train stations. Grazie!

Tuscany Italy
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Florence to Barga

knapsacker, Barga is small, you don't need to plan it really, just wander around for a few hours and you will see it all, there are art galleries and a number of restaurnats and bars, it's an easy place. The climb up to the duomo is well worth it for the panormic view. My restaurant of choice would be Altana, just on your left as you enter the main gate, and definitely get an ice cream from the modern looking gelateria just on from there, especially the caramelised fig and walnut. You will find many people with Scottish links and accents there, Barga is 'the most Scottish town in Italy' as msny of the descendents of earlier emigrants from Barga to Scotland have now returned.

In case you do need the train instead of the bus note that the Barga-Gallicano train station seems to be listed on bus timetables as Mologno FS if you need a bus from Barga old town down to the train station in the valley.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Florence to Barga

Knapsacker,

I think Anon hs missed the point. Barga has strong links with Glasgow and the west coast of Scotland in particular (I have two friends whoce family originated in Barga and who have strong connections in the cafe/fish n chip business). We holidayed in Tuscany this August and from our rented house in Bagni di Lucca, it was only 30 minute drive. We visited Barga on 3 occasions and found it a lovely little town with its own historic Duomo (St Christopher) and on our middle weekend they had a festival during which the town square was closed of to traffic and a host of stalls were erected and a bandstand. It was absolutely wonderful to see couples and families of all ages get up and dance to the music until the small hours. I thoroughly recommend a visit if you can.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Florence to Barga

I didn't miss the point and I didn't try to dissuade the poster from visiting Barga - exactly like cs68. Since the expectation was for cafes and galleries, and so on, I felt it was better to point out we are not talking about a place with buzz like Glasgow.

14. Re: Florence to Barga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 20:16