We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in FLorence 1st time

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
staying in FLorence 1st time

On our first trip to Florence, we would like to stay in a central location, but I am not sure what area is best...any suggestions? Any areas to avoid for safety reasons?

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in FLorence 1st time

Greetings to the Sunshine State!

You will be fine staying anywhere in the historical center of town. My preference would be north of the river, south of the Duomo, east of Via Tornabuoni an

west of V. Proconsolo.

We stayed at Hotel Davazati, V. Porta Rosa, 5. I have raved about this hotel again and again for location, quality of the breakfast, clean rooms, friendly & helpful hotel manager and staff.

Personal safety isn't an issue (yes, pickpockets do ply their "trade"). My daughter and I wandered about the streets of the central area late at night and never felt uneasy.

Wandering down the narrow lanes is as much fun as visiting museums and churches. I'm a couch potato and I loved every step I took (even the up-hill paths of the Boboli Gardens!)

You will have a great time! Kiss the pig for me! He's right around the corner from Hotel D!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in FLorence 1st time

i stayed at hotel rivoli, which is about a ten minute walk from the train station. it's close to everything and the hotel is great. the staff is good, the rooms are clean, and the location is perfect. if you stay there, ask the front desk to book a walking tour with Luca. He's the best tour guide in Florence. Also, check out the Joshua Tree Pub and Ristorante Buca Mario.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in FLorence 1st time

Second vote for Davanzati. Wonderful hotel.

You will probably want to look at the hotel reviews provided on this website to get some ideas.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in FLorence 1st time

Third vote for the Davanzati. The desirable areas are between Duomo and Lungarno.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in FLorence 1st time

Thank you all for your input.

I will certainly look at that hotel!!

Is that area of the historic distric called "the historic distric". I wonder so that I can filter for that location when searching for hotels.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in FLorence 1st time

Hi

We stayed not to far from the train station but we didn't feel that walking around in Florence was a problem (day and night).

Here is an interactive Google map that I have made gardkarlsen.com/Florence_Italy_google_map.htm . This shows the location to some of the attractions in town and you can click on the various markers for more info.Our hotel location is shown with the yellow marker. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com if you want to take a look at my Florence trip report with pictures :-)

Regards

Gard

7. Re: staying in FLorence 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 11:20