We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berlin
3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

Dear romantic Tuscany-Experts,

I am trying to figure out what the fairy-tale getaway place is to be when it comes to stay with my lovely future bride on a surprising one-week honeymoon trip in Tuscany beginning of May 2008. So far, myself, I came across "Villa Dievole" but it would be very helpful if you could give me your insight where to spend the most romantic honeymoon in a tranquille, lovely, relaxing environment enjoying the typical tastes & wines including a breath-taking, green hill-side view from the facility. Any further recommendations in terms of must-see places to be visited outside of the mainstream tourist guides are also welcomed. We will remember you when we will raise our first glass of red wine.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Kai (& Ewa).

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

The Torre di Bellosguardo is a spectacularly beautiful 14th century manor house with a big, square fortified tower on a hillside just south of the heart of Florence.

The building is gorgeous and has been wonderfully restored - without ever giving the feeling that it's been restored at all. I particularly admire the ancient, glassed-in orangerie. The rooms are furnished with museum-quality period pieces. The bathrooms are huge and elaborate. In places you feel that you are on the set of an Errol Flynn movie. The gardens are superb.

The views are incredible. On one side you have the Arno and all of the historic center of Florence below you, and on the other sides, you have classic Tuscan hillsides - castles and villas and farmhouses and vineyards and olive groves and 600-year old cypresses and umbrella pines.

The place is small, and the staff is never there when you don't want them and always there when you do. It's easy to pretend that you're alone in your own home.

There is a superb swimming pool with one of the very best views of Florence, where they serve a light lunch. There is an elegant little bar.

It is a 5-10 minute walk down into the center of town, but when you are at Bellosguardo, it is as though you have been transported to another time and place.

I don't know of a more romantic place anywhere.

milwaukee, wi
Level Contributor
513 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

We stayed at the Castello delle Serre last fall and thought it was great. A converted castle in the Tuscany countryside run by a father and son who are great hosts. Check the reveiws here and look at their web site.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

Villa San Michele if your budget allows it. But also the Bencista' can be very nice. As per out of the way places, tell us what your interests are and we'll try to steer you.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

Second Villa San Michele, for possibly a once in a life time splurg I'd certainly stay here. But then the Bencista is also lovely, though some say the dining room is a bit institutionalised?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

With all do respect, talking about the Villa San Michele and the Bencista in the same breath is sort of like saying on the one had you could have diamonds in your wedding ring, or perhaps you would prefer rhinestones.

The price of one night at the San Michele in May is approximately $1400. The price of a night at the Benchista is about $200.

"Splurg" (or "splurge") is one thing - $1400 a night is something else.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

Hi

I'm not sure I can help with the accommodation but have you made a search on e.g. http://www.tuscanynow.com/ ? My wife and I stayed at a Agritourismo place near Castellina in Chianti last year and the scenery was beautiful. We had a car and it was easy to drive around. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send you my Florence and Tuscany trip report with pictures.

Regards

Gard

Berlin
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

We will target a daily budget of 200-600€ / night so 1400$ / 950€ is too high.

Berlin
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

We checked out the webpage of "Torre di Bellosguardo", I think this place is definitely worth to stay 1-2 days to explore Florence just after our arrival. Great tip from georgehlesser - many thanks so far.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

Hope it works for you as well as it did for us - not on our honeymoon, but many years later. (We spent our wedding night at the Ritz, in Paris, which wasn't too shabby.)

Whatever, good luck, and please report back to the board about how you find the place.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in May 2008 in Tuscany

We stayed at the Villa San Michelle for a night Fall 1992. I remember precisely how much we paid for we paid the same here as we did at a hell hole in Siena, $250/night. In '94 we tried the Bencista, which was then about half the price and, ironically, we preferred it! I believe the San Michelle was renovated in the late 90s and upgraded considerably so the rates today reflect the added amenities. It's also become extremely fashionable. Incidentally, the "hell hole" in Siena (1992: $250/night, linoleum on the floor, no en suite, school dinner type food) has also been fully renovated and friends tell me is now reasonably comfortable: Palazzo Ravista