We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late evening arrival question

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
late evening arrival question

We will be taking a late train from Rome to Florence one evening in December. Is it safe and okay to be at the train station then and do the taxis run at all hours of the night? I'm guessing it will be close to 10 pm. We will need to get to the Westin Excelsior. Thank you...

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: late evening arrival question

You'll definitely find cabs at Santa Maria Novella station at 10pm and later. I personally don't think it's a particularly nice part of town but if I had to I would be prepared to go from train to cab at that time of night even on my own. There'll be other people around at that hour. Just be careful, that's all, as you would in NY.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late evening arrival question

Here I go sticking my nose in again but.... Do you have to arrive that late? I always think you get the leftover rooms that way.Of course if it's a MUST then I always make sure I call the hotel to remind them that I'll be late.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: late evening arrival question

I really don't know what all the fuss is about the area around the station. I have arrived late at night - most recently in December - and I have left late at night. For years, one of our favorite restaurants was just off the Via Alamanni. I have never, ever run into any reason to fear for my safety.

Are there people hanging around the piazza I wouldn't care to dine with? Of course. Are they threatening? I don't think so.

The last time I arrived by train in Florence, it was late at night, raining cats and dogs, and there were plenty of taxis at the station.

I also don't think you run a risk of getting a lousy room by arriving late at the Excelsior. As far as I have heard, they don't actually have a lot of lousy rooms.

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: late evening arrival question

Thank you all for your input. Riffsmom, as for "sticking your nose in" - that's the whole idea! I'm not using a travel agent for this trip & this is the best way to get helpful opinions during this planning stage. I love that I can ask a question and someone out there always knows the answer. Should be like that for everything in life!

Anyway, the issue for us is that the rest of my family is determined to squeeze in a visit to Pompeii or Ostia Antica while we are based in Rome. That means that our last day in Rome will end late (that, btw, would not be the day in Pompeii or OA). Personally, I am trying to change their minds, I think it will be too much.

Actually, that brings me to another question, which may belong in the Rome forum, but can Ostia Antica be seen properly if we arrive there at like 2:30 in the afternoon? If so, then we don't have to spend a day trip on it.

As for station and area safety, I did not mean to simply anything about Florence. As someone in the NY metro area, there are definitely places I would not go at that hour. It is just something that I think about when heading to a new place at night.

Thank you to all!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: late evening arrival question

Hi

We walked in the train station area both day and night and we didn't have any problems with it and it seemed like there were plenty of taxis around. So I don't think you will have any problems :-) I have trip reports from Rome and Florence that I can share with you if you are interested. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send them to you. Have a great trip to Italy :-)

Regards

gard

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: late evening arrival question

I wouldn't walk the underpass near the train station at night or very early in the morning even if they paid me good money. But take a taxi from the station curb at 10pm shouldn't be a problem.

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: late evening arrival question

Thank you. We've decided to leave Rome in the afternoon so that a late arrival won't be a problem.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: late evening arrival question

Have a great time!

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: late evening arrival question

Thanks Anon, We aren't going until December though.... I have a feeling you might hear from me a few more times before then :)

10. Re: late evening arrival question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 15:18