We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Florence

massachusetts
3 posts
Save Topic
car rental in Florence

Hi,

We will be traveling from the train from Rome to Florence to visit Chianti, 25 km from Florence and need to rent a car near the train station. Any suggestions? And, can we rent the day of, or should we book sooner? Thanks ,

Jen

milwaukee, wi
Level Contributor
513 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Florence

Strongly suggest you make reservations in advance.

We have used carjet.it in Eurpoe a number of times and have found the price to be the lowest because they include all insurance in the price, we tested this with an accident in Spain and didn't have to pay any addiitonal monies for the damages.

Car jet is not an actual car rental company but a broker or consoldator akin to Orbitz. They have affiliations with many of the companies that have locations about 5 blocks from the train station in Florence. I can't rememeber the name of the street that all the rental companies are on but it is an option as a pickup point in Florence when we booked with car jet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Florence

If you do a at the top of this page all you can get a mass of info. That said book ahead use a broker like the previous poster noted. Autoeurope has a very good rep as well.

Cheers

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Florence

All of the major car rental agencies have offices within a block or so of each other, two to three blocks south of the main Florence railroad station - "Firenze SMN". Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc., are all either in the Via Fineguerra or the Borg'Ognissanti, which run into each other about a two minute walk from the station.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Florence

Why come all the way up to Florence from Rome to go down again to the Chianti area? And with all the troubles going in and out of it because of traffic restrictions? Either rent in Rome or rent along the way somewhere like Arezzo or Chiusi.

massachusetts
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Florence

We thought it would be easier to take a train, but do you know how long a car ride would be from Rome to Chianti? Do the places you mentioned have stops along the train pathway?

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
950 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Florence

Frankly, I agree with Jen, timewise it's quicker to take the express train from Rome to Florence, then drive out on either the autostrade or the Chiantigiana in the Chianti region, in comparison to driving from Rome to wherever they're going. Particularly so if they've just flown in to Italy from the US and are sufering from the effects of jet lag.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
950 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Florence

I withdraw my suggestion and defer to Anon--s/he has more indepth knowledge of these things and what would be easier.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in Florence

Across the street from the SMN (Santa Maria Novella), main train station are several travel agencies which can arrange for a car rental but most likely you will still need to take a taxie to the airport where the car rental companies keep their vehicles.

You can avoid a lot of confusion by simply grabbing a taxi and going to the airport. Rentals do not need to be reserved in advance unless there is some major attraction taking place.

Note: Florence is an extremely crouded city and there are almost NO places for a non resident to park except at the airport or one of the train stations. If at all possible try to avoid renting a car. You will spend hours each time you need to find a place to park and be extremely careful about where you park. Unless it is a parking garage you will very probably get a ticket for illegal parking even as much as a year after the fact.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in Florence

Arezzo and Chiusi do have train stops, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested them. The trains which stop there, though, are slower than the Eurostar which stops in Florence, but I feel that the extra time is easily outweighed by the time it costs you to double back driving south again, going out of Florence and getting back in again.

For mapping your itinerary - viamichelin.com

For trains timetables and fares - trenitalia.com

massachusetts
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in Florence

Ok, I checked out both sites and I just wanted to give you a full scope of where we would be headed next after Chianti. We will be going to Venice to pick up a cruise. Does it still make sense to drop the car off at Arezzo or Chiusi? It is about at 4 hour train ride from both places. So we will be in Rome for a few days , then headed to Chianti and then on to Venice, packed schedule. Would you be able to map out what makes the most sense for us in terms of transportation? Much appreciated, it's getting so confusing, first trip to Italy. Thanks,

Jen