We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence and Venice

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Fl
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Florence and Venice

My husband and I will going to Florence and are thinking of renting a car and going to Tuscany. The question is the traffice bad and a problem in driving. We could always stay in Florence and take a tour to Tuscany but I think we will not get the same experience. I would love comments.

Also we will spend 4 days in Venice. Is this too long? I was there a couple of years ago by myself and thought it would have been great to have more time. Comments?

We will be going in October 2008.

thank you

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence and Venice

Four days in Venice will be more than one and not enough to see all what Venice has to offer. But you will have some time to begin to understand the city. And you can always come back!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence and Venice

You will love having the car to drive through the Tuscan countryside. It will be one of your best experiences. When you get out of the city center, the roads are less crowded. They are well marked and in excellent condition. The Route S222(wine road) just South of Florence is a wonderful place to start.

Whenever you have the opportunity to spend more days in any place in Italy then go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Enjoy!!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence and Venice

I wouldn't spend four days in Venice unless you have a month or so to see the whole of italy. How long do you have and how is your itinerary split right now?

BTW - Florence is in Tuscany. In order to see the countryside, you can rent a car and meander. The SS222 is a very good road to do that. Just be very careful especially in returning the car to Florence due to high fines and traffic limited zone. Drop the car either in Via erbosa, at the edge of Ss222, or the airport.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence and Venice

Venice in October is a lovely to be there, Four days would be ideal, really not worth going for less,

5. Re: Florence and Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2008, 05:13
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence and Venice

My wife and I just committed (bought the airline tickets) to go to Venice this October as well (arriving on Oct 13) -- our third trip to Italy since our honeymoon in Florence/Tuscany in 2002.

October is a perfect time to explore Tuscany -- the fall colors are beautiful and the summer crowds are long gone. The traffic may be you and a couple of other cars on the road.

We spent 4 days in Florence exploring the city by foot. We did have a rental car exloring the Tuscan countryside. For our honeymoon, we stayed in Monterrigioni for 2 nights but rented a house in Castellina in 2005 with another couple for a week. You can easily do several hill towns in a day trip. I agree about using the Chianti highway to get into the heart of Tuscany.

Towns to consider would be Siena, Montalcino, San Gim, Montepulciano, Volterra (Lucca and Pisa may be a bit far for a day trip -- we went there as well in 2002). And, I agree with Gard that a stop in Monterrigioni is worth it. Dante mentions the town and the well in main square in the Divine Comedy.

Howard

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence and Venice

I second Gard's suggestion to rent a GPS or bring your own if you want to buy Europe maps for it. I've been driving once with one and once without one, and I definitely had a less stressful drive with it. The smaller roads aren't always well marked, and when they are it's not with the road number corresponding to your map, but with a town that is in that direction. Much easier to let Tomtom tell me when it's time to turn.

But it did lead me astray once just south of Florence on the SR222. It came up with a "shortcut", had me turn off SR222, and then wound me around through a town with the intention of putting me back on SR222. Only it wanted me to go through a restricted driving area. I did not comply for fear of a ticket, and retraced my steps. Just a word of caution to keep a map with you even if you do use a GPS.

8. Re: Florence and Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 07:18