We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best rail fare Paris to Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best rail fare Paris to Florence

The best fare I can see from Paris to Florence in early September for 2 adults and a 5 yo in a T3 couchette is 350 Euros (total).

That fare is on both the trenitalia and voyages.sncf sites.

Can anyone suggest if its possible to do better than that (by rail).

Thanks

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

The best fares are sold on those sites. Have you given a thought about flying, either from Florence or from Pisa? Have a look at easyjet, ryanair, airone and meridiana

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

There are often special fares on that route, but I don't think you can get them outside of Europe. I bought a ticket from Milan to Paris on the French rail site once, and got a fare of about 60 euros in a 4-bunk couchette. At the moment they're doing maintenance on their web site, so I can't check prices, but you might want to try looking around the site www.tgv.com. Say you're in France, not Australia, and that you want to pick up the ticket at a French rail station.

If you can't get a good price, then flying may be the best way to go. The advantage of the train is that it doesn't eat into your vacation time. You leave Paris in the evening and wake up in Italy in the morning.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

Anon makes a good point with flying. The fares for early September on Easyjet are running $147euros for 3 persons to Pisa. This is quite a savings over the rail price and it gives yuou more time in each city.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

Air fare may definitely be cheaper than the overnight train, but it doesn't give you more time in each city. My main reason for taking the train to Paris was to have more time in the city. I left Italy at night and woke up in the outskirts of Paris in the morning. Taking the plane would have basically shot one whole day. There's no overnight plane to Paris.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

Thanks all, but we do have plenty of time and are attracted to the romance of rail. We were more hoping that someone might know whether the fares can be beaten, or when and how specials on the Paris-Florence route are announced.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

Only on the national rail sites. As per the romance of train travelling at night, personally I find very little romance there unless you spend a hefty sum on a nice bed cabin.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

Sometimes a rail pass is cost effective especially if you are covering long distances starting outside of Italy. You would have to add up the price of the rail pass vs. the cost of single tickets for all your trips of course. If it was just for travel within Italy, usually, a railpass in not worth the money. However, with the rail passs there are supplements to pay for night trains and Eurostar and ICplus trains in Italy.

You could try for 3 in a 4 berth couchette, if possible. I don't know what the likelyhood of a single traveller being assigned the extra couchette would be.

I looked at travelling via Germany, since Germany usually has travel specials starting from €29 and up. But the problem is the France portion of the trip is still rather expensive.

Might consider flying. And have to agree with Anon above. The pitch and sway may or may not lull you to sleep but the sudden jerks will wake you up.

How to book on the SNCF website by MorganB : tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c3019/Paris:F…

I'm sure you know of RailEurope. There is also

www.italiarail.com

www.railpass.com

www.railkey.com/tickets/newpoint.asp?AFF=key

All sell similar rail passes.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

The overnight train from Paris to Italy (the Artesia) doesn't have a whole lot of romance. The cabins are modern, but more comfortable for sleeping that the old couchettes I remember from 20 years ago. When I boarded the train in Milan, the couchettes were already made up with sheets, pillows and blankets.

I was in a 4-person couchette, and a mother and two children had the other three bunks. In the morning, the y hogged the bottom bunks for sitting purposes by strewing their baggage on the bunks. Really, the seating space on the bottom bunks should be shared by the occupants of the top and bottom bunks, because you can't really sit up comfortably on the top bunks. However, we were near Paris, so I just stood in the corridor and watched the countryside go by.

On the way back, the bunks were not made up yet and everyone could share the seating. However, although the couchettes are very comfortable for sleeping, the oldfashioned ones were better for sitting. I don't know what the T3 sleeper is like, but I imagine the bunks are the same.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

I like the ideal of a train from Paris to Italy, I'm thinking of it for next May.

is Milan the best place to arrive or does it not matter ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best rail fare Paris to Florence

There are direct trains to Milan, Venice, Rome and Bologna. I think maybe Florence as well. I don't think Milan would be the best place to arrive unless that's where you're going.

Sometimes the fares are pretty high, but you're getting transport plus one night's lodging. I took a bunk in a four-person couchette. You can choose an all-male, all-female, or mixed couchette. I was in a mixed couchette on the way back, but in a couchette with a woman and two children on the way out. Most people slept in their clothes, although some went to the bathroom (in the corridor) and changed into PJs. The sink in the bathroom was miniscule, but one of my travel mates managed to wash her hair on the trip. There was no shower, although if you have a private sleeper, you would also have a shower.