We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fuel prices

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
fuel prices

can anyone give me a rough idea how much petrol is per litre in Italy at the moment please?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fuel prices

Between 1.48 and 1.55 per lire. And now petrol and diesel cost practically the same. Yes, it's s rip-off.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: fuel prices

That works out to about U.S.$2.4 or A$2.5 per litre, or about $10 per U.S. gallon.

And European cars keep getting bigger, and they keep driving faster.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fuel prices

Yes, true about european cars getting bigger but also true that they are more fuel efficient. Recent statistics have proven that european cars do an average of 12Km (still not great) per litre against not even 7Km of an american car.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: fuel prices

True - and a six-speed turbo-diesel Alfa is a blast to drive. I simply do not know of any American car that can touch it.

But fuel is still about 2.5 times as expensive in Europe as it is in the States, and a whole lot of Europeans drive as though the stuff were free.

Please note: I am not condemning anybody - I'm just remarking a fascinating phenomenon.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fuel prices

That is a very good point, George. But I have to say that I noticed last weekend on the autostrada that a lot of people (including guys on flashy cars) are now driving at a constant 90 kph speed (which is said to be the most fuel efficient driving style). I also saw statistics reflecting a drastic cut in fuel sales. Personally, I am now using my car as little as I can, and I know many people who chose to do the same.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fuel prices

There was a report in a UK newspaper last week that petrol/gas sales in th UK are down by about 20%, compared with last year, presumably because of recent big price rises.

A litre of unleaded costs around 1.18GBP at present in the UK.

Glenview, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fuel prices

European cars do seem to get more miles to the gallon than American cars. We rented a 3-series BMW for the day. We drove from Florence to Siena, Siena to Pisa, and Pisa back to Florence. We made stops along the way, got lost several times and made a few detours. At the end of the day it only cost us $25 euros to fill up the car.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fuel prices

I was wondering about this today, for planning purposes. $10/gallon doesn't sound that bad, compared to what I think the multiple used to be, or maybe it's no worse than it used to be, which given the weakness in the dollar is a pleasant surprise.

9. Re: fuel prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 19:19