We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Hi just wondering if when in Florence these markets are worth the visit.

What type of merchandise is available, are there shoes?? Or is it all just souvenirs?

Regards

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
422 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Yes - I thought it was definitely worth the visit. They sold everything, clothing, shoes, jewelry, I can't even tell you what else. It was enormous and a bit overwhelming, actually, so don't go when you are worn out from climbing towers and domes (like we did). There are also quite a few stores and restaurants in the area.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

It is a fun place - and there are great things around there, such as the spectacular, old cast-iron food market, the "Mercato Centrale" - which is open in the mornings and early afternoon and, of course, the sublime San Lorenzo church, with its cloisters, Laurentian Library, Medici Chapel, etc., etc.

The market itself has all kinds of clothing, footwear, souvenirs, etc.

When we have asked locals for suggestions on where to buy shoes, or anything else, nobody has ever, ever, recommended anybody in the market. I simply would not encourage anybody to spend anything more than a trifling sum there. It is really just for tourists, and you definitely can find better stuff for less elsewhere.

If you are serious about buying shoes, or anything else that costs anything you would consider a significant amount of money, look at recommendations on this forum.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

I agree with George. Go for the fun of it, or just to buy inexpensive presents for acquaintances, but not to properly shop.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Sorry but I don't understand how looking at tourist trinkets, most of which are probably made in China could be considered fun or worthy of "time" that you've paid plenty to enjoy.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

hello shellywal:

Both in the market for San Lorenzo, as in the market for straw, can be found all over, but specialize in artìculos, straw, silk and leather.

There are souvenirs of all sorts and representing every city in Italy: Tower of Pisa, St. Peter's Basilic, Màscares Venetian, etc..) .

And although not buy anything is a nice stroll through Florence.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Shelly, at least is not out-of-the-way lierally a stone's throw from the Duomo. To say that it is only tourist trinkets does it an injustice, you could get a new leather belt or a T shirt a silk scarf or a leather jacket. Nothing special I agree but you just may need an umbrella !!

Bob.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Scarpnter:

Have you been there? If you haven't, you might spend 0 of you expensive minutes taking a look.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Yes I was there

and honestly a total waste of time, unless its along your planned travel route (which it was mine)

maybe once long ago this market was "real" or really Italian.

Reminded me of the cheap NYC street fairs, which offer the same vendors weekend after weekend along with hot dogs, etc.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Sorry you wasted your valuable time.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Lorenzo Market - is it worth the visit?

Georoge

Do you really think the sun glasses for sale are made in Italy? What about the T-Shirts ?

Do you really think all the African men selling designer bags displayed on white sheets on the pavement... got them from Gucci or Marc Jacobs ?

I think Italy is unlike the USA in that they do not have a country of origin regulation with respect to labeling.

You could do better in Hong Kong.

I'm through with my Italian Trip and the Florence Forum.. nice town but pretty much a tourist town especially in the Historic District.