We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants along the Arno River

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
516 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants along the Arno River

Are there any restaurants with outdoor/terrace seating with great views along the Arno and Ponte Vecchio or Ponte San Trinita?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

The restaurant/bar at the Westin Excelsior has a few outdoor tables, and if I remember correctly, so does Harry's Bar. While both of these are along the Arno, I wouldn't say that these are particularly great views - there's a street right in front, and a fairly tall concrete barrier along the river. While I'm very into dining with a view when traveling, I wasn't the least bit tempted by Harry's, and only a little tempted by the Westin's outdoor tables (particularly when the musicians were playing), but didn't try it. The view here is across to the Oltrarno area.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

Ristorante Alfredo Sull'Arno, Via de Bardi 46r, Oltrano, 50125 Firenze. Closed Sunday. Nice views of the R. Arno and Ponte Vecchio. Tipica Cucina Toscana!

It is quite some time since we had a meal there, food competent but not outstanding I recollect.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

I don't know of any place with good food and a good view. The almost-adjacent sidewalk cafe tables of the Excelsior and Harry's Bar have no views at all - you simply cannot see over the wall along the river. They are brillianty situated to provide diners with the maximum possible Vespa fumes.

Some months back, we had a discussion on this thread of the old Excelsior roof-top restaurant, which has been closed for decades. It was suggested that the hotel has plans to re-open it, but I have no idea whether that has happened or what the schedule is if it hasn't. You might check with Westin, which operates the hotel.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

I have yet to visit Florence, but I found this restaurant, Golden View Open Bar, during one of my searches. I'm not sure if it provides outdoor seating, but the window views are awesome.

http://www.goldenviewopenbar.com/

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

Hi jaypea

I highly recommended the Open Bar as mentioned by jessfm 107. It does not have outdoor seating but the view is fab. It is right next to the Ponte Vecchio and the food is very good and the staff is very friendly. Hubby and I had a late lunch there.

enjoy Florence!

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

Golden View open bar comes indeed well recommended in this forum.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
516 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

While the Westin may be nice, I tend to avoid hotel restaurants when travelling and prefer to find a more local establishment. We are not looking for the most elegant and expensive meal, but something with great ambience, character, etc.

I am zeroing in on Goldenview Openbar for its location along the Arno river across Ponte Vecchio not too far from our hotel. The website pictures and menu appeals to me and they have live jazz too. Sounds great for a first night in Florence!

USA
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

Thanks to this post we ate at the Open Bar and then went again 2 nights later. Very good price, good food and the location is great. It helps to make reservations. Also, the first night we sat in the Piano area where they play jazz music. It wasn't too loud but we would have liked it a little quieter. The 2nd time we went, we asked to sit away from it and they put us in one of the window tables overlooking the Arno and Ponte Vecchio. Wonderful! Highly reccomend. The ravioli quattro formaggio e tartufolo (i think that's what it was called) was excellent. Had that twice. Good risotto, and they have a great typical tuscan soup that is tomato and bread all mashed up. It's a thicker soup but very good.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

Thank you very much for the follow up!

10. Re: Restaurants along the Arno River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 03:21