We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kevinmckeown
1 post
Save Topic
Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Some help on this would be much appreciated.

In August 2007 I went to Florence and hired a car. On the first day (07 Aug 08) we went into Pisa and seen the sights etc and had a very nice time.

In December 2007, my credit card I made the booking with was charged twice for €50 from the Car Hire Company. We then received two seperate letters in the post (in Italian) which we got translated telling us of a Traffic Violation of driving in a restricted zone. After searching the internet we accepted that we had occured these violations and accepted the two €50 fines. The funny thing was that we got lost in Pisa and ended up driving the same route twice, so it was believable that there were two violations.

Today (02 Sep 08) I have received a letter from "Muniipality of Pisa" in English, stating I have committed an restricted zone traffic offence and am now fined €113. Bank details are supplied to pay the fine.

I see that one of 2 things have happened.

1) The original charges by the Car Hire firm are a scam, and this is the real fine.

2)The original fines paid by the Car Hire firm are legit and this new charge is a scam.

I have read that the car hire firms will pay the fines and charge you.

I have also read that the Italian government have up to 1 year to fine you for a violation. This new letter is outside that time period.

Any help or advice on how to resolve this situation would be most helpful.

I intend to go back to Florence next year and want to know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks in advance

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Just noticed an important point it the email from the company that collects the fines. They have stated in the email

"Time and Way to send a infringement:

If you have rented a car by a rental company, we have 360 days from the date of that rental to use your personal details (the rental company gives us a copy of your rental contract). If we respect these times the fine is legal."

If it is from the DATE OF THE RENTAL" as described above and not from when they get your details, then I think most people could argue that they have not honoured this obligation therefore the fine isnt valid.

From reading this and other boards most peoples fines stretch back over a year

Milan, Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Good to hear that the AA are looking into the Pisa problem.

By the way, this is Alex from Blog from Italy here.

If you would like to know how long the Italian police have to send out fines, basically, as I understand it, the 360 day period starts from when the driver has been identified. Not from the date of the violation.

You can find more details over on my blog.

I am hoping, for the sake of all those caught out in Pisa, that the city will change the signs indicating the ZTL.

Alex Roe

lancs
1 post
Save Reply
33. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Hi,

I have found myself in a similar situation, we visted Pisa in July last year and have recently recieved a fine. Our hire company Avis aren't willing to help (although they haven't charged my credit card with a bogus fine, which I guess is a bonus!?) and when I have tried to pay the fine over the couter at Natwest they have said they can't do it!?!?

Does anyone have any advise on this....???

thx

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Regarding previous postings concerning fines charged against mobility impaired drivers/passengers. I was driving a minibus in Pisa and Florence displaying two dmobility impaired badges as I had two friends who are moblity impaired. I received two notifications of fines. Stupidly, I paid one the for Florence - it arrived six months later the day after I was discharged from hospital following an emergency admission for a life threatening condition (OK now - grateful thanks to the UK NHS hospital staff ). The PIsa fine arrived 11 months after the event. I contacted the owners of the Italian property we rented sending them a scanned copy of the letter and disabled badges. They very kindly took the matter up with the PISA Police who then cancelled the fine. So, either try contacting your Italian hosts or try using www.bablefish.com free translation service and send a fax, worth atry.

Stratford -upon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

After many hours of phone calls, faxes and letters we think we may have avoided paying the fines which should never have been issued to us in the first place. Due largely to the enormous amount of help and willingness of the hotel owner. He spent over 3 hours at the Police station trying to clear up the fines, despite been fastidious enough to have kept a record of the parking ticket we paid for on the night we stayed in Pisa 14 months ago. Our registration was DV***** but he had written BV**** for which they charged him 43 euros for each of the two fines we should never have been issued with! What a farce - it is enough to put you off going to Italy. I'm now going to follow it up with all the documentation & evidence I've accumulated and registering my appeal and dissatisfaction with the Prefect of Pisa. I doubt he'll give a **** though. Spain next year anyone?

Turku Finland
3 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Hello Kevin!

I am a Finn who experienced exactly the same as you although not twice. I just wonder what finally happened in your case. I must say I (=we) had great problems in finding parking place in the crowded city with hectic traffic in spite it was late autumn - In fact, the incidence took place almost exactly one year ago. I have tried to find additional info what I did wrong as I don't know to have violated any traffic rules. Some weeks ago I received a letter by post. I had great problems in getting on the screen the 'photo' of my crime. I succeeded only by the new instructions I received after a longer time. Well, the photo didn't reveal anything else but the front of the car. Apparently I had been driving in a prohibited zone. Still I feel the fine is immense for such a crime done by an innocent tourist. I cannot help thinking it's a kind of trap they have created to collect good money from foreign tourists, or anybody else for that matter. I decided to give up and tried to pay to "BANCO POSTA" account as adviced. Doesn't work: The swift code is not accepted by the modern international bank transfer systems! Ok, I received another by phone (which was recorded erratic due to communication problems) which I could check from the internet, amoung others from the long response you received from Pisa. I won't go to Pisa any more, I will advice people avoid driving there. I think the issue belongs to the Italian or to the local tourist organizations as well although they are no legal party in these cases. I believe such cases are numerous. I onluy can imagine what kind of mess their traffic rules or way of sendibng tickets are causing. Regards, ML

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Hi

I just got a letter stating the same thing. I owe 113 euros from July, 2007. Did you pay it? Why would they take l8 months to send this? We had rented a car and my husband was driving and we never got the first notice stating we owe 50 euros.

What did you end up doing????

Mary

Turku Finland
3 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

Response esp. to you 'MariaSofiaChicago' (although you didn't necessarily asked my advise)

I suggest: don't pay!

Nobody can catch you or your money for the unfair and questionable fine. If you were not charged 30 or 50 eur extra that only means your car rental company didn't charge you for "their extra effort" for disclosing your address and other billing information to the Pisa or Firenze police authority.

I as an EU citizen did finally pay my 113 eur which wasn't easy as the instructions for bank transfer were partly erratic and additional corrective information was difficult to receive(?) and required many contacts and additional efforts which added my suspicions against the subject authorities and their legal rights.

Well, finally I succeeded in paying my fine. I thought I'll pay myself off from any future problems. The only problems I antissipated are those related to agreements btw. EU nations to start efficiently collect each other's unpaid fines. Principally I agree and accept that - for diserved 'crimes'.

However, I learned that my own country of residence won't officially collect smaller, below 70 eur fines of foreign origin at all. Later I learned that so far no fines, regardless of the amount have been 'collected' by my home contry for the benefit of another EU country. The situation may soon change.

Let's imagine I didn't pay the fine. I'm wouln't be afraid of travelling back to Italy one day and be 'caught' for any unpaid fines. Within EU we are travelling free within the s.c. "Shengen" area i.e. your identy is not controlled at borders. I could possibly (not necessarily) be 'picked' and become revealed only if caught for some other new traffic violation or other such offence.

Well, there's a potential risk for one also in the future if the Italian authorities are allowing Pisa or Firenze type "illegal traffic zone" -type fining practices continue or even widen - and I mean the type of intentional and continuous trapping of tourists for a minor fault. In principal and officially the police are doing 'right things' but I'm sure they could act differently if they really wanted to reduce unwanted driving in 'restricted zones'. Now it seems they and their subcontracted money collecting partners are doing it mainly for collecting good extra money from visitors - which I hate!

Afrique
2 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

I just got 7 of these driving in a "restricted zone" things from all over Italy. Where i am from (somewhere in Africa) we do not have these restricted traffic signs anywhere and when i saw them (and obviously couldn't read the Italian) i assumed they pertained to parking. I wasn't parking so i ignored them. My hotel nor the car hire mentioned anything about them. Now people my say that it is immoral but i have no intention whatsoever of paying what is (by anyone's measure) an exorbitant amount for a seemingly harmless violation. My actions weren't reckless or dangerous or for that matter intentional. I would argue that the authorities haven't fulfilled their obligation to 'adequately inform' non-Italian speakers (of which there are undoubtedly many in these tourist centres) of the laws. In fact i would be interested to know if this sign which someone had mentioned was recognised by the EU is in fact an INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNISED traffic sign. I know for a fact that you could scour all corners of Africa and not run into one. I have contacted the car hire and instructed them under NO CIRCUMSTANCES to pay the fine or hand over my credit card information. Further to that i am convinced that the Italian municipal road authority has zero jurisdiction outside Italy. If i am mistaken then please correct me but i would urge you all (particularly non-EU citizens) to ignore the threats of increased fines and passively resist what is nothing more than under handed revenue raising.

bof!

Afrique
2 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Pisa Restricted Zone Traffic Fine

I just got 7 of these driving in a "restricted zone" things from all over Italy. Where i am from (somewhere in Africa) we do not have these restricted traffic signs anywhere and when i saw them (and obviously couldn't read the Italian) i assumed they pertained to parking. I wasn't parking so i ignored them. My hotel nor the car hire mentioned anything about them. Now people my say that it is immoral but i have no intention whatsoever of paying what is (by anyone's measure) an exorbitant amount for a seemingly harmless violation. My actions weren't reckless or dangerous or for that matter intentional. I would argue that the authorities haven't fulfilled their obligation to 'adequately inform' non-Italian speakers (of which there are undoubtedly many in these tourist centres) of the laws. In fact i would be interested to know if this sign which someone had mentioned was recognised by the EU is in fact an INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNISED traffic sign. I know for a fact that you could scour all corners of Africa and not run into one. I have contacted the car hire and instructed them under NO CIRCUMSTANCES to pay the fine or hand over my credit card information. Further to that i am convinced that the Italian municipal road authority has zero jurisdiction outside Italy. If i am mistaken then please correct me but i would urge you all (particularly non-EU citizens) to ignore the threats of increased fines and passively resist what is nothing more than under handed revenue raising.

bof!