We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Tickets

Saint Peters, MO
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic Tickets

What are my options if I received two tickets for driving my rental car in a Limited Traffic Area in florence? I received the tickets several months after returning to the USA. What happens if I just ignore them?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Tickets

Do a search on this forum for "traffic tickets", and you will see about a zillion posts on the subject.

In principle, at least as I understand it, the city may force the car rental company to bill you through your credit card, and/or it may hire a collection agency to dun you, make nasty reports to credit rating agencies, etc.

Italy
Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Tickets

Is normal to receive tickets several months after return the car back. For the Italian law, the police have 150 days for sent the ticket at rental company, and after the company have 60 days for pay or send back at police with your document to rent, and then the Police send to you the tickets. At the end of all it is possible arrive after 8 or 9 month and is regular for the Italian Law. Ask at rental company if they have payed for you with your credit card details, if is not payed I'm sorry but you are in time for pay!!

Jack

CANADA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic Tickets

I also rec'd a letter from Florence this morning about an infraction that I supposedly committed in Nov. '07. It indicates that I drove my rental vehicle in a Limited Traffic Area and they are now asking for 105 Euro. Both my wife and I don't remember doing it and are thinking that this is a scam with someone within Hertz providing officials with our personal details. Should we not have heard from Hertz? Has anyone else experienced a delay of approx. 23 months before being notified of having committed an offense?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic Tickets

Brian

Read Zube's post right above your one.

It is not a scam, and it is not unusual for the ticket to take that long to get to someone living outside the EU.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic Tickets

Brian

It is not a scam.

Read some of the other threads on this subject.

CANADA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic Tickets

Thank you for your response.

Do you know how I would go about getting proof that I actually committed a fault? The letter from the collection company reads that " a police officer took note of the license plate number" and effectively started the process that they said occurred in Nov. '07.

Any ideas. I won't pay unless I'm certain that I committed an infraction.

Brian

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic Tickets

From other posts, it appears that the photo is on a web site. Details should be in the letter you received.

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic Tickets

Was your letter written in English?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic Tickets

If it's not in English, you can use a service such as translate.google.com

Weston, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic Tickets

Marta,

1. Has the rental car company already charged your credit card for the ticket? If not;

2. Did you use a regular credit card or a checkcard (Visa or MC/debit card)to pay for the rental car?