We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to rome

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belfast
Level Contributor
79 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
train to rome

I need a single train ticket to rome , can i just show up at the station and purchase a eurostar ticket or would i have to book in advance .

Thanks

Houston
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to rome

Yes. If there is an available seat, it's yours! Tickets can also be purchased at the American Express Office, Via Dante Alighieri,22, without any service fees. This office is about a 1 minute walk from Pz. della Signoria.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train to rome

Hi -

Actually, tickets can be purchased at any travel agency in Italy that exhibits the Ferrovie Dello Stato (National Railway) logo. There will be no fee for service.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to rome

And it is quite likely that you could book on just about any schedule you want, even an hour in advance (maybe less), with the possible exception of some holidays. It's easy, but be sure to stamp the ticket.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to rome

It depends when you wish to travel. If seats are available then O.K. just to turn up before the train departs and buy a ticket. Remember that Italian trains tend to depart punctually and you need to date/time stamp your ticket in the little yellow box found on every platform unless your ticket is for a specific train only.

However busy times of the year - Xmas, Easter, the August holiday period and many weekends - Friday nights - lots of people may be travelling and have made the obligatory seat booking for ES trains well in advance so if the train is fully booked you will not be able to buy a ticket at the last minute.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train to rome

When posters refer to seat booking, they are - I believe - specifying a SEAT RESERVATION in addition to just having a ticket. Ticket gets you on the train, doesn't necessarily guarantee you a seat! I've had the not-pleasant experience of standing for a considerable portion of the Florence>Rome train trip. The extra tarriff for getting a specific seat is well worth the investment! I always like to reserve a couple of days in advance just so I have the peace of mind that comes with knowing I'll SIT for the trip.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to rome

Thw price of seat booking/reservation is included in the ticklet for ES trains. For IC trains there is a charge of 3 euros to reserve a seat.

belfast
Level Contributor
79 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train to rome

Thanks everyone for all your help !

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train to rome

With Eurostar you MUST have a seat reservation to board the train. Unless you are travelling during peak days, such as holidays and hoiliday's eves, there should be no problem at all finding a single ticket from Florence to Rome on the spot.

9. Re: train to rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 09:27