We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it snow often in Florence?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
406 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Does it snow often in Florence?

Was looking at the extended weather forcast, snow is predicted 1 day next week. How often does it snow in Florence?

Florence
Level Contributor
207 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Hello,

Snow flurries can occur in Florence, but it's unusual to have any measurable amount of snowfall

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Usually not snow often and does not create enormous inconvenience. Sometimes on the A1 you must have snow chains on board in this time of year, so if you think you are traveling through the highway you might need it.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

I've been in Florence in February each year for the past several years, and there was a light dusting of snow only once - and it was pink!

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Pink--ugh. I don't want to think what air pollution caused that.

With good wishes for a Buon Natale to all on the Florence Forum from Alison in ice-encrusted, snow-buried--but white--New England.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,464 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Daily average maximum temperatures are well above freezing in Florence throughout the winter so snow has little chance of staying for long. Usualy only very light flurries.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Alison

What caused it was sand from the Sahara.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Thanks for the explanation, George. Sorry for assuming the worst. That's quite amazing.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

I'm on the A1 in Tuscany virtually every day in the winter and I never carry snow chains, nor have I ever been told I need to. The road is always gritted in advance (in fact, weather forecast aside, you know you're in for a cold icy spell when you see the grit being dispersed) and the ploughs are out before dawn on this road and many others when snow settles. Travelling at night during a snowfall may be a problem or possibly very early in the morning but during the day, between Florence & Rome, the road is rarely, if ever, impassable. Yep, we're all very excited about possibility of snow on 26th & 27th.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Fo' my buffday!!!!

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does it snow often in Florence?

Buon compleanno, Anon! Not sure how reliable the weather forecasts are as I see from checking this morning that the earliest snow for our village has now been pushed back to Saturday evening/Sunday morning (grrrrrr). I have a houseful of Christmas guests longing to see southern Tuscany under a blanket of snow...