We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy tickets for Italy now???

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Buy tickets for Italy now???

I'm ready to purchase tickets for 4 to Florence from San Diego this July/August 2009. My husband says the prices will go down, but I'm afraid to wait. Best price I got was 1400 ec./round. It does seem pricey, but any thoughts about waiting??? Thank you to all. I've enjoyed this forum and have made hotel reservations after reading your input.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

The present financial turmoil is without precedent, and I don't think anyone can predict what might happen with air fares.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

Other questions are:

Will the airline you buy tickets from now survive to get you there and back seven months from now?

And if it goes under, will any other airline(s) agree to assume responsibility for those tickets?

And what do we do with our frequent flyer miles?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,135 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

Kyani, Have you tried pricing flights into Rome?

It is easy to take the train from Rome to anywhere in Italy. The price difference can be a lot.

Also , there is a travel consolidator that I have used twice so far for Italy tickets. You can call them or use the internet and they have been reliable and helpful and at least $300 less than the regular airline,Delta.

www.1800flyeurope.com I saw round trips to Rome in July for $700+

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

Just to add to George's jeremiad, I would observe that there seem to be fewer flights these days and seats seem to be filling up early. If you have any constraints on your travel schedule at all (can't go before school lets out, have to be back for a meeting, etc.) it's probably time to buy.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

Jeremiah was an optimist.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

Goodness Gracious, George, did the heating in your house broke or something?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

So I was able to get a miles ticket just the other day, but was wanting to wait and see if the one ticket I needed to pay for would go down in price. My husband insisted it was not worth the gamble, just buy it. So I did. Two days later the plane was full, and this is for a flight in May. There are other flights but I would have arrived later in the day and not been on the same flight as my husband. Point is, if it is exactly what you want just book it.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

Anon:

Heat's working just fine, thanks.

As they said in 1992, "It's the economy . . . ."

Actually, an aviation lawyer friend of mine has used up all of his frequent flyer miles on one of the top three U.S. carriers because he is convinced they will not survive the year.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

george - would you care to let us know who that is (especially since i just bought tickets on one of the three major carriers)?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy tickets for Italy now???

e-mail me.