We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry But Another Train Question

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montclair, NJ
7 posts
Save Topic
Sorry But Another Train Question

First, let me thank the wonderful advisers on TA for your helpful suggestions and advice. Reading the posts has made my travel planning so much easier! Here's my question. At the end of the month, I will be traveling to Florence to visit my daughter who is studying there for this semester. I will fly into Rome early in the morning and then I hope to take the "fast" train to Florence. I have read that I don't need reservations for the trains, that I should buy them at the train station, but does this advice hold for the Eurostar as well? I am looking forward to seeing my daughter and I don't want to wait in the train station if the faster train is full. Thank you in advance for your answers--and patience with another train question!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

Even if you want to reserve ahead, 95% of the time the Trenitalia web site doesn't take credit card issued on foreign (ie non-Italian) banks, so your options on buying/reserving ahead are limited.

The EC trains are no different than the slower trains on filling up. There is a big cost differential betwwen the "slow" train and the EC trains that makes some of up wait for the "slow" train to save on fares. On the route to Naples the fast train took 1.5 hours and cost 37.5 euros apiece (there were 2 of us). the "slow" train took 2 hours and cost 22 euros. For 2 of us that is a difference of 31 euros one-way.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

Yes, it holds true for the fast ES trains as well.

Buy your Rome-Florence ticket at the train station at FCO when you buy your ticket for the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini. They will know which is the next ES train you can make.

If you have to wait for the next ES train - about one chance in a million - it will be at most an hour later.

Rome
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

It should be fine if you buy the ticket when you arrive. When you arrive at Fiumicino airport you can take the train directly to Termini station and from there go to Florence. Buy tickets for both journeys at the airport train station.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

Definitely - and just to get a bit more specific - when you arrive, after passport control, luggage retrieval and customs, look for the underpass to the train station. Take the underpass, go up two/three flights of stairs (escalator, but pack light!) and to the right you have a rather small and frindly train station. The ticket office is opposite you as you enter. Buy tickets for the Leonardo express to termini and the eurostar to Florence - they will know which train is your best connection. When at termini look for your ES in the big displays, but do not go down the tracks until the last minute, when the train has been announced - sometimes ES have this habit of changing track. It is all very simple, really.

Enjoy!

Montclair, NJ
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

Thank you all very much!! I will definitely wait and purchase my train ticket when I get there. Anon, I really appreciate the details you provided in your post about the station in the airport, and about the set up in the Rome station. I am one of those travelers who likes to know as many details as possible. Thanks, again.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

Make sure you validate the train ticket from FCO to Rome. You insert it in the yellow machines to have the date and time stamped on it. If you forget, write the date and time on the ticket but stamping/validating is better.

Tickets for the EuroStar do not need to be validated! Just find your assigned wagon and assigned seat and enjoy the ride. Suggest to bring a drink/snack with you for the ~1.5hr ride to Florence. You can buy something to go once at Termini. Be vigilant of watching your belongings.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

I have used raileurope.com to buy tickets before departing the States for the Eurostar train. I opted for a first class seat - not that much more - because it could be reserved, but more importantly, because the ability to ride comfortably while watching ones luggage is, to me, worth the difference in ticket price. I have not been to the raileurope web site for a while, so cannot promise that this is stil effective, but would think so.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

I did a "dummy" search on raileurope (I used April 6)and found that a first class ticket was available on a train that leaves Rome at 12:30 p.m. and arrives Florence 2:09 p.m. (1 hr. 39 min.). The cost is $84.00...but bear in mind that you'd be paying in dollars not Euros. I've had success in getting the actual ticket in about 2 days from raileurope, sent via FedEx.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

>>"I opted for a first class seat - not that much more - because it could be reserved, but more importantly, because the ability to ride comfortably while watching ones luggage is, to me, worth the difference in ticket price."

You could also do that in 2nd class just as easily and for a cheaper price. You can easily store carry-on sized luggage. Anything bigger, such as a 29" suitcase, you just need to be strong enough to put it in the overhead racks and believe me they do fit up there.

10. Re: Sorry But Another Train Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 23:20