We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

I have been told that 200-220 square feet is the size room of a deluxe riverview. Has anyone who has stayed their fond it to bereally small. I know Europe has different standards but i find it hard to believa a room this small is in the $450 to $500 range per night( and I need two of them)! Thank you for any information.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

* who has stayed there found it to be really small

Sorry for the typos

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

What you pay for is not the space but the view - for less expensive river views, look at the Degli orafi, Berchielli, Antica Torre Tornabuoni Uno, Hermitage, Continental.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

Thanks I will remember that but we are going to stay at the Westin this time. I am just debating whether to go for larger rooms. Glad I checked before I got there. It looks like a beautiful hotel. We are just use to spacious accommodations.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

It is a beautiful hotel. It is all a matter of buidget, after all. European hotel rooms are, as a rule, much smaller than american ones.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

We had one of the Excelsor's smallest double rooms - noticeably smaller than our rooms in Venice and Rome (at the Danieli and the Eden)- but it nevertheless was not cramped or crowded. With two of us, two large suitcases, and a wheeled carry-on bag, we were quite comfortable there for three nights. What made it feel a bit small for a luxury hotel was not so much the length, but the width - the space between the windows and the opposite wall was less than normal.

The floormap on the door made clear that our room was the smallest river-view room on the floor, and was shaped differently than the other rooms. (Since we were staying on a combination of steep discounts and free nights, and had been upgraded to a river-view, I was not the least bit inclined to object). Moreover, it was a lovely room, and not at all cramped. We were both quite impressed, and would return to the Excelsior in a heartbeat.

Most riverview rooms at the Excelsior are larger than ours, and even ours was quite comfortable. I would suggest you take another look at the TA reviews - I don't recall seeing any complaints about unusually small rooms.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

I just checked our reservations - ours was indeed a "deluxe" room, with two twins joined as a King.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

Me again. It's probably no suprise that our "deluxe" room at the Excelsior was smaller than our rooms in Venice and Rome. The Excelsior was the only one where we booked the hotel's lowest-rung room. Understanding how rooms vary so much in Europe, we booked upgraded room categories at the others, and the rooms were bigger.

I see that Starwood's website describes the Premium Deluxe rooms as "spacious," a description that is missing from the "Deluxe" rooms. I would believe them.

8. Re: 200-220square feet at the Westin Excelsior?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 11:22