We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday dinner in Florence?

West Chester...
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday dinner in Florence?

We'll be in Florence (day trip from Rome) on 26/4. Anyone have a recommendation for a restaurant that's OPEN? I've read about a handful that are closed Sundays. We're fine with paying more for a memorable meal. Grazie!

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

Plenty are open on Sunday. I found far more closed on Mondays or Wednesdays.

Some of my favorites, depending on what kind of atmosphere you are looking for:

Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco: directly over Ponte Vecchio on Oltrarno side of city. Great food, stellar service, reasonable prices, "wine cellar" atmosphere. Nice, but not too fancy. Always had good meals here and it's just charming.

Coco Lezzone: Small, characteristic family owned place with limited menu, great prices and great food. You will sit at long, family style banquet tables so if it's busy, you can make new friends. All food is made "in casa" by "mamma" who is slaving away in the kitchen. Genuine Tuscan cuisine - I love it! Great house wine in a carafe, limited dessert list but get the cantucci with vin santo - delicious!

Antico Fattore: About 40 yards away from Uffizi museum on Via Lambertesca. Also a family run restaurant, jsut a small step more fancy than Lezzone. Great traditional Tuscan platters and roasted meats/fish. If you go online to their website and print a coupon from there, you can present it for a special gift of the family wine and a hand-painted ceramic plate. Extremely well-located for your short visit and prices are resonable for what you get.

Buon apetito! LL

Cash only here.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

Thanks for the recommendations - I love the sound of the last 2, but info online says they're closed Sundays. I found 2 more...Acqua al 2 ("a trendy bistro") and Osteria Caffe Italiano ("a Santa Croce trattoria") that got good reviews so I guess we'll jot those down.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

Sorry about that - I neglected to check their being closed Sunday. I only remembered Wednesdays. In any case, Cinghiale Bianco is my very favorite restaurant in Florence overall and I KNOW they are open on Sunday because we had Easter Sunday dinner there. It is really excellent, warm and well-located. No matter what I don't miss a chance to dine there. We had the most incredible Pasta with Truffles and they have the best Panna Cotta dessert I've ever had. You really would do well choosing it.

Acqua al Due gets reasonable reviews, but I haven't eaten at the Florence one - they have one in San Diego, California also and I've eaten there. It was very good, but not truly special. Then again, just being in Florence eating anywhere is a special experience!

;-)

You can also input "florence restaurants open Sunday" or "special florence restaurants" , something like that, in the search box (upper left of this page) to find the myriad discussions and suggestions on this subject.

Ciao! LL

West Chester...
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

Thanks so much for following up on this. I did do a search similar to what you recommended and got the 2 I told you about. I'm way more excited to try Cinghiale Bianco!

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

With all due respect, I disagree.

In the first place, in my experience, far more restaurants are closed on Sundays than on any other day of the week.

Secondly, in my experience, Cinghiale Bianco is a tourist trap.

I have a recommendation for Sunday lunch and for Sunday dinner. For lunch, I would go to Baldini, in the Via il Prato, and for dinner, I would go to Giovanni in the Via del Moro.

UK
Level Contributor
537 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

Are any of the replies and suggstions above at the cheap/bargain end of Tratoria's? One persons fantastic review or version of cheap could differ to mine I guess.

I need to eat very cheaply when on our trip - places the locals eat would do fine.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Mrs T

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

Cinghiale Bianco was one of our favorite places to eat in Florence. They were very kind to us when we were there.

they are open Sundays and only clsed on wed. See the bottom of this page

www.cinghialebianco.it/eng/index_chi.htm

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

The almond cake was out of this world at Cinghiale Bianco. The fried articholes and gnocchi with meat sauce were also wonderful.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

With all due respect, George, I disagree...more with your dismissive tone than anything else. Your opinion though is appreciated.

As you see, Byekids, we are all entitled to our opinion here. I heard less English spoken at Cinghiale than other restaurants and again, I stand by my several experiences there. Then again, there could have been tourists from other countries too, but this would be true for any restaurant I suppose. Looks like you have a couple of others who feel the same, but in the end you can make your own choice. That's what the research here on TA is for!

In any case, you will find plenty open on Sunday. I found that on Easter Sunday there were a particularly large amount of restaurants open on Oltrarno side of city. I suppose they cater a bit more to locals, so I found plenty. This is how we stumbled on Cinghiale Bianco in the first place. We got there just as they opened and they were very gracious and welcoming to our large party with no reservations. I was impressed with how we were treated.

Glad you found some other recommendations with the Search box search.

Good luck! LL

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday dinner in Florence?

We try, each one of us in turn, to recommend places that the locals eat at. Since you are going to be having a good breakfast at your hotel, I would suggest you keep your lunch cheap and light - a sandwich at I Fratellini, or foccacia at Forno Sartoni - which will enable you to up the budget for supper.