We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa to Florence

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa to Florence

We are a group of 5 arriving at Pisa airport by Ryanair arriving approx 2.30pm a week on Monday .I have seen that you can buy bus tickets on the flight to travel by coach(Terravision) to Florence but have seen horror stories on the buses being a scrum and overbooked.Has anyone any experience of this bus or are we just 'safer' getting the train?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa to Florence

We have used both train and bus.

They usually both work fine.

With air travel as erratic as it is now, I see little or no reason to book a seat on Terravision - and you can't book a seat on a local train. (The one exception I can think of is if you are arriving on one of those Ryanair flights in the middle of the night, when alternatives are few and far between.)

I just wait until I am actually past customs and immigration in Pisa and check the schedules for both rail and bus to see what's what. If a train is coming any time soon, I wait for that. If not, I hop on the first bus.

I prefer the train, among other reasons, because I prefer trains, and because they are constantly working on the Fi-Pi-Li highway, so the bus is subject to more delays.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa to Florence

Take the train, the FI-PI is a mess.

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa to Florence

Thanks so much.Definitely taking the train now!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisa to Florence

any more details on thrain times and prices ? and how long the journey takes.

thank you !

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
105 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisa to Florence

I'd do as george suggested and wait until you are past customs, see what arrives first and decide then. I also prefer the train as it takes you straight into the heart of the city and you avoid traffic.

The train ride from the airport to Florence takes about an hour and 30 minutes average. You'll likely have to change trains in Pisa centrale.

Check out www.trenitalia.com for timetables ("pisa aeroporto" for departure and "firenze" for arrival destination).

6. Re: Pisa to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 May 2009, 08:08
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pisa to Florence

Thanks...I'm just beginning to realise that and therefore think the train is a more reliable option!!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pisa to Florence

Although I too recommend getting the train because of the roadworks, purchasing a bus ticket online does guarantee you seating priority.

UK
Level Contributor
537 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pisa to Florence

Is there only ONE main train station in Pisa and in Florence, or more? Just wanted to avoid confusion and buying a ticket to the wrong destination.

Thanks!

Mrs T

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pisa to Florence

MrsTeapot

At the Pisa end, there are two railroad stations, the one at the airport and Pisa Centrale, in the center of town. Many trains go from the airport, to Pisa Centrale, and on to Florence. Some just go from the airport to Pisa Centrale, and you then have to change to another train to get to Florence. If you are arriving at the airport, it doesn't matter about the ticket - a Pisa airport - Florence ticket will get you there whether you have to change at Pisa Centrale or not.

At the Florence end, things are more complicated. There are multiple railroad stations with the name "Firenze" in them, e.g., "Firenze-Riffredi", Firenze-Campo di Marte" (aka "Firenze CM") and "Firenze Santa Maria Novella" (aka "Firenze SMN").

Firenze SMN is the main station in the center of town, and. most likely, the one you want to get to.