We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 20/18 year old "kids")plan to do a tour of Tuscany for a day out of Florence. We are thinking Florence-Prato-Pistoia-Lucca-Pisa and return to Florence by train. Is this doable/ advisable/ are these the right stops? We want to see the countryside, explore little towns, have a couple of great meals/wine. Alternatively, I have read on this forum that the "Best of Tuscany" tour is good, but on a bus with 60 passengers- not sure that is our style. Thanks for your advice!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

It depends.

I would find that schedule a bit rushed. The more Italian point of view would be a greater emphasis on quality and less on quantity.

I suggest that you plan to see Pisa 1-2 hours and then Lucca, 3-5 hours.

That provides time for 1.5 hours Florence to Pisa and 1.5 hours Lucca to Florence..

The trip from Pisa to Lucca will be around 35-45 minutes whether you use the train or the bus. The local bus system is part of the experience (validate the tickets!!!) I would use the bus.

I think you have a good concept, but my personal preference is to relax and let things happen in Italy. Take time to stop and have a gelato, and later a nice meal.

I believe you have a very thoughtful approach and you will have a wonderful trip.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

It depends.

I would find that schedule a bit rushed. The more Italian point of view would be a greater emphasis on quality and less on quantity.

I suggest that you plan to see Pisa 1-2 hours and then Lucca, 3-5 hours.

That provides time for 1.5 hours Florence to Pisa and 1.5 hours Lucca to Florence. Both routes either train or bus.

The trip from Pisa to Lucca will be around 35-45 minutes whether you use the train or the bus. The local bus system is part of the experience (validate the tickets!!!) I would use the bus.

I think you have a good concept, but my personal preference is to relax and let things happen in Italy. Take time to stop and have a gelato, and later a nice meal.

I believe you have a very thoughtful approach and you will have a wonderful trip.

Toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

Thanks for your comments Roadgard! I feel we are on the right track- and you are correct- we want to enjoy the experience, so will reconsider the plan.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

I am also doing the Florence, Pisa, Lucca day trip and was planning on using the trains.

Is there a reason you are recommending the bus from Pisa to Lucca?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

Yes, the reason is that with the train you have to make a connection in Pisa, which can be a pain.

With the bus, you get on at the airport and get off in Lucca. I can not give you a guarantee, but, having gone both ways, I would use the bus.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

Mi scusi, I overlooked he is not going to the airport, so the bus is simply one option.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

Nono, the bus is a good option because the bus stop to Lucca is, if I am not mistaken, near Piazza dei Miracoli where the tower is. But so is the train station of Pisa San Rossore. The initial itinerary is rather impossible. have you looked into artviva's chianti tour?

8. Re: One day in Tuscany-by ourselves or on an organized tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 08:16