We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

Hello,

As part of our multi-city honeymoon, we will be taking the train from Cinque terre to Florence. Our original plan was to leave CT super early and spend a 1/2 day in Pisa OTW to florence.

Now I'm wondering if we should bypass Pisa and do a half day trip to Sienna or San G instead on one of our 3 days in Florence.

I know this will be better answered if you know what our interests are. Ideally we want a nice smaller town, obviously beautiful, where we can walk around, drink wine and possibly taste cheeses and olive oil.

Thanks

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

Pisa is crowded in its tourist areas and is not a bad one hit wonder for a 4 to 5 hour foray to do over the obvious icons.

As you will be in Florence which is the ultimate over touristed place how about a stop /visit to lucca or as you say a full day in Siena.

Read my Lucca/pisa combo that may be informative

eatcetera.org/lack_a_lickker_in_lucca.pdf

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

Do not do both Pisa and lucca and siena. otherwise your multicity honeymoon will turn into a giant blur.

Go to Florence - three days (which probably are not three full days) are barely enough to see it. Or else skip Florence which in my opinion would be a shame and visit Pisa, stay overnight in Lucca and stay two nights in Siena, dedicating one day to a Chianti tour.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

Hi Anon,

Sorry if I worded that poorly. We are definitely not wanting to visit all those places. We want to spend 1/2 of one day at one of those places.

Pisa seems the easiest because it is along the train route from Cinque Terre to Florence, but I was looking for suggestions on a 1/2 day trip to do instead of Pisa that would be slightly less touristy, we could do some wine and olive oil tasting etc.

Thanks

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

derpro, it's a good question, I know Pisa is on your way but to explore needs baggage storage at Central Station and a trip across town. I think you would enjoy a day in Siena much better.

Go on the bus and take all day. Although there are always loads of tourists it is a busy city in its own right with a university and buisness population which create a buzz. With food oportunities gallore not tourist orientated.

It's a city with lots of interest for all, forget San Gim' that is ruined !

Bob.

Budleigh Salterton...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

We went to both Florence and Sienna in May last year and fell in love with the latter. Whereas Florence was wedged with tourists, traffic and beggers, Sienna was so calm and peaceful - the perfect antidote. I'd certainly bypass Pisa (unless you're desperate for a photo of you propping up the tower) and San G (beautiful, but...) for a day in Sienna.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

Of all your places I personally would drop CT. It is packed with tourist. You are not going to find that sleepy little fishing village ..but hundreds of tourist walking from village to village. Every place is very tourist oriented..including the restaurants. Rick Steves ruined it years ago!

Bob is right San Gimignano is only good from the outside. It is ruined and one big tourist trap.

I would go to Lucca or to Siena.... both are very interesting. I like Pisa. It is much more than a Tower. People who make remarks about spending 5 minutes for a photo op at the tower have no idea of the wonders within the church and the town itself.

If you want to walk around and drink wine and eat cheese then go to Siena. It is outstanding....

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

We just returned on Monday from 4 weeks in Cinque Terre, the Dolomites, and Florence. During our week in Florence, we traveled on one day to Pisa and on another to Sienna. Was very surprised at how uncrowded Florence was. We loved it. (During our month in Italy, we spent 1 night in Venice and it was terribly crowded). Can't see how you can do more in 3 days of which 1 might be arrival day and 1 might be departure day. Enjoy Florence, but, if you do try to fit something else in - although we did like Pisa, it was all about the tower. Sienna seems to fit your preferences better. We took a direct train there from Florence. Congrats !

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

I love Siena, the folks I take to Italy with me all want to see Florence, but they hate the crowds. They all loved Siena, which is a good compromize of big city and small tourist trap villages like Sam G.

The Campo really is a place in the world you want to spend some time in. I would recomend an overnight stay as night time Siena is much different then daytime Siena as the day trippers go home. Plus you can find great meals there for less then you find in much of Florence that you will have access to.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

Siena is not on your way. Try Lucca instead of Pisa. And see whether you can have lunch in one of these places www.luccatourist.it/content.php?p=8.3.1

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: limited time, pisa?siena?san g?

I would go to Montecatini. It is a small town, has a world famous SPA, a place you can walk around and stop for the glass of wine. In the evening you can eat one of their famous waffles for dessert.

From what you say you want..this might be the answer.

Best wishes