We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A "day off" from Florence

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
A "day off" from Florence

Our plan for Italy includes 7 full days in Florence. We're thinking that somewhere in the middle we'd like to take a vacation from our vacation (probably a Sunday but this will depend on last minute whims). We're not talking about a day trip, jam-packed with touring Siena or taking a bus tour of Tuscany. More like get up late, take the train to a little town, stroll about holding hands, have a slow lunch with some good wine, maybe stop in a little shop or two but nothing frantic, tiring, full of must-see attractions. Think quaint, calm, relaxed.

Certaldo (in my Rough Guide to Tuscany) sounds about right but I'd like some real opinions.

We are not renting a car. Will a Sunday (or any other specific day) be a problem for restaurants?

Thank you

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
416 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A "day off" from Florence

to be honest Lucca fits the bill better than any other town/city close to Florence. Check out some of the old descriptions of the city and I am sure you wont be disappointed

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A "day off" from Florence

Siena is a beautiful town for strolling -- and having a drink on the town square -- the Campo

Lucca would be a wonderful choice -- lovely town walls you can stroll on -- charming town with an interesting church --

Arrezo is close by and has its charms

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A "day off" from Florence

I agree Lucca fits your exact description. You can perhaps go to Pisa in the morning, climb the tower and then head to Lucca by lunch.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A "day off" from Florence

No car , Fiesole for the day, if over night is an option stay in San Gimignano and go by bus.

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A "day off" from Florence

Hi lzwedding,

I'm thinking that you're looking for a quiet, relaxed, small-town experience - right?

The town should be reachable by public transportation - about 1 hour by train (from Firenze SMN) or bus (SITA). Certaldo is a lovely little town - probably right up your ally. The old "upper" town (Certaldo Alto) has been completely restored to its medieval splendor. There are pretty views of the surrounding countryside, very few shops, and one or two places for lunch. If you're interested, you can visit la Casa del Bocaccio where the famous writer resided, and a few other beautifully restored historic buildings.

Please be aware that the train or bus leaves you at in Certaldo Basso - to reach Certaldo Alto you take the funicular which costs 1€.

My only concern about going on a Sunday is that most, if not all shops will be closed. Restaurants are usually closed on Mondays.

San Gimignano might be a good destination for you - larger than Certaldo but much smaller and less crowded than Siena. Serviced by bus (SITA), not train.

How about a little town closer to home? If all you're looking for is a place to stroll down the main street, window shop a bit and have a nice lunch - San Casciano is only about 30 minutes away from Florence by bus. Again - all shops will be closed on Sunday, restaurants on Monday.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A "day off" from Florence

Indeed, most shops are closed Sundays everywhere. You might want to move this trip to another day and stay in Florence on Sunday to visit the museums to make the most of your time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A "day off" from Florence

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the idea of having a few destinations in mind with the final decision being last minute i.e. when we've had enough of the tourists! :-)

8. Re: A "day off" from Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 06:37