We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this seem HIGH?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Does this seem HIGH?

A guide highly recommended on these threads gave us the following quote (For Jan. 4th): For a six-hour day (for 4) with pick-up by minivan in Lucca and transport to a nearby vineyard/winery for a tasting - at our expense - and then transport to Montecarlo for Lunch - at our expense - and return to Lucca.....140 Euros PER PERSON. That looks like a Euro 560.00 day to me! This seems considerably on the "high" side, based on other tours I've booked/taken. Would appreciate input. Thanks in advance.

california
Level Contributor
612 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

If it seems high to you, perhaps you should plan something else, otherwise you may be focused on the price you are paying and not the experience.

I have booked with Nathalie, who I found on these forums.

For e240, we will be picked up at our hotel in Siena and dropped off at our hotel in Florence. The day includes "castles,wineries,slow food town Greve,quaint villages and more. All wine/extra virgin oil/aged balsamic tasting is included. This would be a private 8 hour tour and my rate is 240 for the both of you."

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

the time of a guide should include the whole party -- or be only slightly higher for more than 2 or 4 or whatever in the same vehicle -- it is like a cab ride -- you may pay a few extra bucks for extra luggage and passengers but the base is the same

so the guide should cost X for the day -- since the site expenses are not included

the only rationale for a per person hit would be that tastings and lunch were all included, in which case you would expect decreasing prices for additional passengers

give this guide a pass for failing business 101 -- or passing scamtrapper 101

Peoria, IL
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

tuscan

Castellina...

795 forum posts

3. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

Sep 11, 2009 5:18 PM

Standard prices. Here's a set of prices that include the tastings and a light lunch: http://www.greve-in-chianti.com/angela.htm

Report inappropriate content

I must be missing something... there doesn't appear to be a price listed anywhere on that link...?

california
Level Contributor
612 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

Try scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page. Prices are there.

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

I don't think that those prices are standard for all of the guides but it gives a reasonable range. I've paid less on tours of those same areas but not by much, maybe 10-20 euros less per person and the more people the greater the reduction.

All of the tours I took included the tasting fees and lunch.

TAB

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

Mame,

If you're sufficiently keen to use that particular guide, you might ask them to confirm your understanding of what's included, and what isn't - ending with a tactful "I thought your message said 560 Euro for the four of us, but that doesn't seem right?"

Alternatively there may be some undisclosed reason why they don't want or can't accept the job - perhaps they can't access the visits, or the vehicle even - on that first Monday in January? Rather than simply coming out and saying so, they've made you an offer so high that you couldn't do other than refuse it!

Peter

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

I agree - Christmas vacations end January 6th - taking a job on january 4th might compel them to cut their own vacations short. Do as Brit in Ischia advises

8. Re: Does this seem HIGH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 06:20