We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Kingdom for a Minivan!

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
My Kingdom for a Minivan!

Is it possible to simply engage a minivan (or big-enough taxi) - without included tour guide - just a simpatico driver...who can meet us at the SMN train station and get us (four ladies, one with walking difficulty) to reserved visit at Accademia and THEN to Casa Buonarroti? (Leaving us there with a good-by, thank you, nice tip.) I thought I was a relatively "old hand" but this trip's got me stymied.

Help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Kingdom for a Minivan!

No need for advance planning. there are plenty of taxis at SMN train station taxi rank (as you go up the ranks, take the left hand exit thereby turning right immediately) and at San marco square next door to the Accademia.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Kingdom for a Minivan!

Thank you Anon. Do you think one taxi will accommodate four of us? Are there sometimes minis

also waiting?

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Kingdom for a Minivan!

Taxis I saw in my last few trips looked spacious. If a mini comes by, you can always relinquish it to the person waiting in line after you. Taxis came very often at the station. At San marco I always saw around 5/8 of them waiting.

UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My Kingdom for a Minivan!

Anon is correct, there are always plenty of taxis to be seen around the station, and most of them will easily carry four people if they each weigh less than about 220 pounds - the disabled person in the front next to the driver, everyone else in the rear. If you feel you have to book, though this is really not necessary, ask for a family car, plenty of room (by European standards) in one of these, no need for a minivan. A family car will also take, as well as 4 people, a mobility scooter, such as a Pride Rally, in one piece without having to dismantle it, simply remove the seat and shove it in the back, and some of them will take 2 scooters - I have a lot of experience sticking scooters in the back of Florence taxis.

5. Re: My Kingdom for a Minivan!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 07:19