We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Lucca

Fjellhamar, Norway
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Lucca

We are 8 "old girls" visiting Florence in October. Planning a day trip til Lucca. Can we get to Lucca by the local bus from the bus station, nearby the train station?

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Lucca

There are two bus stations near the train station - but I would advise you to go to Lucca by train - have a look at trenitalia.com

Enjoy!

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Lucca

With due respect to Anon.'s wonderful advice on all issues, may I offer a vote for the bus? (Either, of course, is fine.) My "old girls" appreciate the bus because: it doesn't make as many stop as the train, the nicely upholstered seats (once you've climbed the steps...but there are also steps onto the train) are far more comfortable than the train, and - most importantly - the bus goes within the walls of Lucca.

This "within the walls" issue is just a nice feature when you arrive in Lucca. At the end of the day (and it's gets dark earlier in October) when you are returning to Florence (foot-sore?), it is awfully nice not to have to schlep to the rail station. You just return to the nice little bus station within-the-walls, get on your Florence bus and snooze all the way "home" to Florence.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Lucca

Really, there is very little difference in the distance to the Lucca bus station, which is only just inside the walls, or the train station, which is only just outside the walls.

Go by bus or train, whichever you refer.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Lucca

Personally I am a train person through and through - on the train you can read, you can stretch your legs and all in all I find it a much more civilised experience. But for SavannahMame and the young girls who posted, here is the timetable of the bus too vaibus.com/pdf/orari/LibrettoOrario_inverno_… (the timetable of both directions is in the first 12 pages)

The vaibus stop is , when you have your back at santa maria Novella church, near Piazza adua, at the right end side of the train station square.

Enjoy, whatever you choose!

Fjellhamar, Norway
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Lucca

Thank you!!!!! Yes, 3 of us are grandmother`s, but we are not so old;) And I think we fix the steps and the walking very well....;) Thank you for the link to the bus and the train. YES, we will enjoy!!!

6. Re: Bus to Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2010, 05:19