We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather question

poopoo78
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
weather question

hi can anyone tel me wat are the weather like over n Italy around mid Oct to early Nov?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather question

It can be overcast and rainy, but it could also be bright and sunny. Either way, it will be starting to get pretty cool in the evenings.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weather question

Google is your friend.

Do a search on something like: "Florence average weather" and you will find at least a dozen sites that give you average temperatures, rainfall, etc.

Of course averages may or may not mean anything, especially in spring and autumn.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather question

Italy is also long and narrow, so weather can vary dramatically from place to place. Do post closer to your journey date.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather question

Average daytime temperature for that time of year is 20 degrees celcius. So tshirts and shorts for north europeans, overcoats and scarves for the Italians;-))

poopoo78
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weather question

really!!!! i can wear my T and short!!!! lovely!!!! thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather question

I wouldn't expect to wear t-shirt and shorts in late October or early November. I would bring long pants, long-sleeved shirts, a few sweaters and a wind-and-rain-resistant jacket. You could bring a few t-shirts just in case you find a few warm days.

Italy is not only long and narrow, it's also very mountainous. Temperature depends a lot on altitude.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather question

Very true - just to give you an idea about the beauty of statistics - here are the average temperatures for October (Celsius)

Rome min 13 max 22

Milan min 7 max 18

Palermo min 19 max 23

You can safely leave t-shirts at home. And having said that, always check forecast a few days before departure. I was in January in Italy two years ago and there were 22 C in Florence.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,678 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather question

"You can safely leave t-shirts at home."

All of this depnds on what kind of weather you are used to and what does "pretty chilly" corresponds to in the climate that you are coming from.

When I traveled to Florence in feb 2009 (and in previous years to Rome), all I brought was short sleeve teeshirts. I wear jeans and long pants, but I strip down to the short sleeve teeshirt indoors because the restaurants and museums are often heated to levels my house at home only sees in June-Sept in MN. I wear a raincoat that does have a liner, but I never bring the liner to Italy anymore, or I wear a cardigan. We turned the heat off in our apt during the day or it was completely overheated to our taste (easier than trying to cahnge the thermostat) when we arrived there at 5-6 pm.

To some of us "chilly" occurs when water freezes at 32 deg F or 0 deg C. This does not seem to occur often in Rome or in Florence. I was only in Florence once for 11 days in Feb 2009. It wasn't even cold enough outside to kill the mosquitoes that came in from the garden when we opened the windows one day.

poopoo78
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: weather question

ok i will bring some warm cloth with me!!!! thank you everyone once again!!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather question

Weather is sort of like stock market.. unpredictable. Last time we were in Italy in (mid) October, it was still pretty warm. I would say that it was around 80F during the day in Rome and Florence.