We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
8 posts
Save Topic
Lucca

we are planning our trip to Italy for may 2010, family of 4. So far we plan to go to venice from paris and then drive down to Lucca. Stay there for a week to do day trips other area ieL Pisa and Florence. Then drive down to Rome. Is Lucca a good area to base ourselves for a week? Do we need to pre-book tours before we get there? Can anyone recommend good family accommodation in Venice, Rome and the Lucca area please.

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucca

lucca area is ok to visit florence (absolutely by train), pisa, pistoia. siena and volterra are a bit far...if you want to have a one trip day to the beach, try to stay in san giuliano terme or vecchiano, which are both between pisa and lucca (10 minutes and 15 minutes by car) and nearer to the wonderful beach "marina di vecchiano" (10minutes from vecchiano, 15minutes from san giuliano terme)...

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucca

Lucca is a perfect base for visiting Florence and Pisa. There is lots of accommodation in the area. Are you looking to stay in the city or in the countryside surrounding Lucca? If you are staying in Paris, Venice and Rome, it might be nice to have a week in a villa outside Lucca, so that you can enjoy a bit of Tuscan tranquillity and a pool.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucca

Peggy you got me thinking already about next year.

Robyn, Peggys plan is great but do try and tell us whats your weekly budget for accomodation. Places like Peggy describes tend to be 25-30 cheaper in the Lucca area.

Best Regards

Dr L

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucca

Haven't you booked already Dr_L?? As you know, we have that posh gaff just outside Lucca booked for next year and I am already spending an unhealthy amount of time planning what to do! Luckily we will be there for the Puccini festival this year, so am hoping to see one of the open air operas at Torre del Lago, just have to choose which one, decisions, decisions...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucca

Posh gaff eh.. lucky so and so.... I have my usual places to look at but I thought about going in the Spring this time, so for know I'm still looking into a few things... but I can't wait

Ciao Peggy

Dr L

New Zealand
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucca

Would you recommend hiring a car. We are looking for good family accommodation not to expensive but somewhere were we can cook our own meals etc. Can you catch a train from venice straight to Luca.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lucca

Would you recommend hiring a car. We are looking for good family accommodation not to expensive but somewhere were we can cook our own meals etc. Can you catch a train from venice straight to Lucca.

Indeed I would recommend using the car to see all the hidden gems in the area but its also great inconjunction with getting to a Lucca Train station.

when you say "not to expensive," that has no meaning to us since we do not know why you consider not expensive.... so please if you want us to give you some pointers you will have to tell us a weekly figure?

Best Regards

Dr L

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lucca

Yes Robyn the train does go directly from Florence to Lucca and unless you are planning to visit some remote villages there is no need for a car.

It might be worth while logging onto the Montecatini Terme website and see what you think. It is a spa town just east of Lucca and a little nearer to Florence. The best thing about it apart from its amazing spa establishments, is its enormous selection of accomodation posibilities which may well suit you.

It is also on the main railway line so no problem getting to everywhere. Bear in mind that Lucca is a working city and not a resort so the choice of accomodation is limited particularly in the centre where you need to be handy for the train or bus.

No doubt you will be back for more info on all this.

Bob.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lucca

Look, to me coming to Tuscany for the first time and staying in Lucca for a week using it as a base sounds like a bit of a missed opportunity. Personally, I would spend three to four nights in the Lucca area and then three to four nights in Florence (without the car) then taking the train to Rome. This way you can enjoy fully the smaller places and the city and even Siena if you decide to visit it from Florence. That's my two cents.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
413 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lucca

As much as I love Lucca I agree with Anon. Split your time between Lucca and Florence. There is too much in Florence to see and enjoy to do in a day on the train from Lucca. Better to spend more time there and understand this beautiful city and you can easily get to Siena as well. Costings to one side, a base close to the city of Lucca for a few days gives you the chance to see this unique small city, much more relaxing than other tourist driven places, and head out to the beach at Viareggio, 20mins by car or train (a little longer by bus but marginal), Pisa is 25mins by train (not car because of the dreaded ZTL), and head up the wonderful area of Dr Leo in the Garfagnana, easyily possible by bus too. Personally I would not stay in San Giuliano Terme or Vecchiano, outside the city if I was not staying in in/close to Lucca I would be up in the hills to the north with DrL.