We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to lucca

liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
trip to lucca

My partner and are going to Florence in July and would like to spend a day in Lucca.We would be grateful for any advice on best ways to get there and things to do once there.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to lucca

Train is the best way to get there. You can do a lot in a day, cycle the walls, wander around the centre, have a good meal, visit the duomo, have a drink in the Piazza Anfiteatro, climb the Guigini, visit the Palazzo Pfanner. Have a look in a guide book or peruse the things to do in Lucca section and do what appeals to you.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to lucca

As peggypatch mentions, the train is indeed a great way to get to Lucca. Bus is good, too....bus terminates within the walls and the to-and-from buses run regularly. Bus and train station are side-by-side in Florence. Consider one of the Puccini "Festival" concerts while in Lucca. They begin at 7:15 p.m. and are over by 8:30...still time to get train/bus back to Florence. It's a unique and splendid - and wonderfully priced - experience. You won't regret it.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to lucca

Train info - www.trenitalia.com . No need to book in advance. Do not forget to validate your ticket in the yellow machines at the station before boarding the train!!

Bus takes longer - bus schedule is here vaibus.com/pdf/orari/LibrettoOrario_inverno_…

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to lucca

As per things to do once there - walk or bike on the rampoart, the main square, meander about. For more ideas, go to the Lucca forum

liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to lucca

Thanks for all information and advice.Will take train .Puccini concerts sound great any more info please.

Tenafly, NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to lucca

When you mention the bus/train runs side by side in Florence, do you also mean Lucca? Thank you.

New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to lucca

In Florence the main train station (SMN) and the bus station are adjacent or side by side.

United States
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to lucca

In Lucca the train station is outside the walls and the bus station is inside the walls in Piazzale Verdi. They are not side by side and about 20 minutes walking distant from each other.

TAB

washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to lucca

I know this question hasn't been asked and that my view is bound to shock some and horrify others, but . . .

We have found Lucca the most inscrutable, hard to appreciate town anywhere near Florence.

The walls are wonderful. It's a great town to walk around, stumbling into one huge medieval church after another. But culturally and socially it is the most buttoned-down town I know.

In short, either you spend an hour there and then go on to something else, or you spend a lifetime getting to know a tiny bit about it - and, if you are very lucky, getting to know a Luchese.

Tenafly, NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to lucca

So to get inside the walls i either walk 20 minutes to the bus station or could i walk to the center of Luca for that matter?