We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night train from florence to paris

canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
night train from florence to paris

A few questions regarding the night train:

1. It looks like $210 to travel in a double sleeper, per person. Does this seem like a good price?

2. Can I book a ticket online from Canada? The trenitalia site is very confusing and I've read on here that you can;t book outside of Italy. However, there are other sites that sell train tickets like raileurope, so I can book through them? This might sound like a stupid question, but I want to make sure that I book it correctly, and do it the cheapest way possible. thanks!!!!

canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night train from florence to paris

oops, mistake in the price there, i think the price is $526 for 2 people in a double sleepr, and $376 for 2 people in a T3 sleeper. Does this seem like the going rate? $526 seems like alot of money. Has anyone booked a T3 sleeper with only 2 people on the reservation? thanks again.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: night train from florence to paris

I am sure you can find low cost flights for much less, either to pisa or even to Florence. Personally, i can't sleep on the train.

canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night train from florence to paris

yes, i can get a cheap flight from pisa, but I figure with the cost of travel to pisa, the extra night in hotel, plus losing a bunch of daylight hours, the pros of taking the night train out weigh the cons for me. Plus, we can sleep just about anywhere. I take gravol for motion sickness anyway every time I fly, or go on ferry, so that knocks me out anyway.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night train from florence to paris

The official train website gives a fare of between €140 and €175 pp in a 2 berth sleeper depending how early you book.

www.artesia.eu/english/fare-train-travel.php

I've never had a problem booking on the Trenitalia site but it is apparent that ohers have. You could try dialing the Trenitalia service centre - see their website 0039 06 68475475

Wales
Level Contributor
430 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: night train from florence to paris

I take this trip almost every year, using a 2-berth sleeper. From other postings it seems that Raileurope prices in North America are in excess of those in Europe, so checkout trenitalia and other sites.

If you do take the train, I'd advise you to take food for the evening, as Artesia is not reknowned for its catering.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: night train from florence to paris

Hi, I'm taking a sleeper on the Artesia from Italy to Paris in May. I noticed a plug for razors. Is this plug 'only' for razors? My equipment to help sleep at night is able to work on european voltage and Hz but I'm concerned about the wattage if it's only for a razor specifically. Any thoughts?

UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: night train from florence to paris

Have a look at www.seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm

For razor sockets on the train, I think you will find that they are 110 volts, not the usual 220 or so volts of the household supply, and they should be the standard (European, not US) 2-pin type.

If you have trouble getting the Italian train website accepting a non-Italian credit card, try accessing the site through an Italian proxy - there are several come up if you Google one.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,261 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: night train from florence to paris

Splott: The problem is the card, not where the user is located. The Trenitalia site just does not accept cards issued in the USA or Australia. There is no known way around this.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: night train from florence to paris

http://www.tgv-europe.com/ will, as far as I can see, now accept bookings from all English-speaking countries except the USA, and will post tickets free to them, including Canada and Australia.

For the night trains from Florence to Paris, this site not only sells tickets at the normal prices, but also offers advance purchase reductions at the normal discounts obtainable by purchasers in Europe.

For this particular journey, there is no need to struggle with the trenitalia website. Unless you are resident in the USA.

Edited: 18 March 2010, 11:54
10. Re: night train from florence to paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2010, 05:16