We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

Florida
Level Contributor
376 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

We are traveling to Florence from Tuscany for 2 nights and one full day. Any great restaurants/sights we must see while we are there?

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,730 reviews
from US$114.30*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$124.40*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,092 reviews
from US$114.30*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
299 reviews
from US$101.60*
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
351 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

Everybody goes to Uffizi, but I would say that the visit is not worth wasting two hours of your time standing in the line. If you only have one day in Florence, make sure you go to Academia gallery to see Michelangelo's David, it is really wonderful. Also, you should go to Ponte Vecchio - it's the most famous place in Florence.

Myself, I admired Florence the least of all touristy Italian cities. Something in it is just not for me..

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,575 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

Your questions is much like asking us whom you should marry - not likely to be productive. There are many, many good choices and you have to make a smart guess at what works for you. Buy a couple of Florence tour guides and start browsing.

auckland
Level Contributor
439 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

Walk across the Arno and up to Piazza Michelangelo for a heartstopping view of the city-corny and touristy , but true.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

re Uffizi -- no one with any sense spends two hours in line anymore -- you book reservations ahead

whether it is a good choice for you depends on what you want to see

my 'short list' for Florence is much more than a day -- you need to look at a guidebook and pick the handful of things that would please you

Uffizi probably not with only one day

Academia for fast stop to see David (30 min max for a one day stop)

Musee San Marco -- well I just love it -- nt everyone would put it on a short list --

Brancacci Chapel -- best thing in Florence

Baptistry

Ponte Vecchio

Piazzale Michelanagelo and hike on up to San Miniato -- in the evening

there are many other wonderful spots: Bargello, Opera of the Duomo museum, Santa Croce, Santa Maria Novella -- and more

there is so much more -- we spent two months there one time and never ran out of things to see and do

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

Roadgard - chapeau - indeed. No must see anywhere. It's your vacation and you should pick what strikes your fancy. We can help you if your fancy strongly deviates from reality as we know it or other mundane info. And why you should see a restaurant? What kind of food do you like?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

I agree with Roadgard and Anon, and love graceh9's recommendations (especially San Marco museum - totally overlooked always!). It depends what tickles your fancy, but for me the top basics (must sees, if you like) for someone on a strict schedule are:

Uffizi, Accademia, Museum of San Marco, Bargello, Brancacci chapel or Santa Maria Novella for frescoes, Palatina Gallery of the Pitti Palace for art freaks (I have a separate list for those who prefer sculpture, painting or fresco too.....).

Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio, Pitti Palace, Duomo, Baptistery, San Miniato for history buffs.

San Miniato, Boboli gardens, Bardini gardens for views and a bit of green.

For food that you "must" eat while you're here, it's not always everyone's cup of tea, but I always try to get people visiting me to have a tripe or lampredotto (offal) panino like a true Florentine! Nerbone at the Central Market is a classic! But as the others have said, it all depends on what you're looking for!!

Florida
Level Contributor
376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

thanks for that great feedback, I love the suggestions on specific foods to try. For all of those that say I should research myself and get a guidebook and figure out what I want to do, well I simply havent had the time and we are going to many places. I thought I would try to tap into people's experiences who have been there. I can say we do prefer more of the locals flare than the mainstream touristy things to do. I know in some places the touristy things are to good to pass up so we won't! Thanks for your help

Oakland, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

My daughter and I are planning a trip to Italy this July - we have to start in Nice and then we plan to stop at Cinque Terre and then on to Florence - IThis will be our first trip to Europe and do not speak the language-

Not sure what mode of transportation (not a car) we will use to get to Florence - probably train...

Any help with that would be helpful -\Also where would be--

Do you recommend a moderately priced hotel that is centrally located?

Not sure how many days we will be there yet

9. Re: 2 nights and one full day in Florence, what is the must see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 05:21