We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top sites to see in Rome, Florence and Venice

louisiana
Level Contributor
234 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Top sites to see in Rome, Florence and Venice

We will be spending 4 nights in rome, 2 nights in Venice and 3 nights in Florence next month this is our first trip to Italy and are not sure of the "the must sees" in each location. For instance in Rome what would be the best 3 attractions to see in one day etc.?

Any recommendations?

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,731 reviews
from US$113.70*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.80*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
300 reviews
from US$101.00*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top sites to see in Rome, Florence and Venice

Wow Sam, that is a really big question and could get different answers from everyone. I think a guidebook to Italy is your first step. The DK Eyewitness guide has pictures so you get an idea of what you are looking for,

For me, who loves churches and art, maybe the following

Venice: San Marco square and the basilica. the Doge's Palace, the bell tower view from San Giorgio just across from San Marco, Scuola San Rocco, Salute church, Rialto markets in the morning. Others love the gondola ride.

Florence: Book for the Uffizi gallery so you don't have to queue. Accademia for the statue of David, Ponte Vecchio with its gold shops, the churches of San Lorenzo, Santa Maria Novella and of course the Duomo and baptistry. I loved the pharmacy of SM Novella. San Marco for its paintings and monks cells. But Florence is not my favourite place.

Rome: Ancient and Christian. So the Roman history of the Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum, Trajans markets and so on. The Vatican museums/Sistine chapel and St Peters, other churches which are frequently filled with amazing art, include the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and Pantheon triangle ( a good place to stay round here too) bridges, fountains. The amazing Borghese gallery (booking essential)

With only a short time in each city you will have to prioritise, so get that guide book.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top sites to see in Rome, Florence and Venice

The Eyewitness Guide is good, or something equivalent you can then choose what would appeal to you personally,

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top sites to see in Rome, Florence and Venice

Totally agree with Lynn and I also love her suggestions. For Venice and Rome perhaps post this in those cities forums to get more input, but I would also add Peggy Guggenheim's lovely little villa/museum and a trip out to one of Venice's islands as well, such as Murano. Nothing like a boat ride across the laguna...

For Florence, Lynn's suggestions are my favourites too. San Marco is so overlooked. The Bargello is another treasure (only open in mornings and open on alternate Mondays/Sundays) as is the monastery of San Miniato, which also has wonderful sweeping views of Florence, that I would add to the list.

Hope that helps to get you started.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top sites to see in Rome, Florence and Venice

Whenever I'm going somewhere new, I always hit the library first and check out whatever books have the most pictures! Eyewitness guides are usually pretty good in that respect. Whatever catches my eye is what I follow up on. I also like to go on walking tours the first thing so as to give me an overview. Here's a good one to start you off with in Rome and it's even free: http://www.romefreetour.com/free%20tour.html

5. Re: Top sites to see in Rome, Florence and Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 05:24