We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Topic
What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

Hi, I was wondering if someone can give suggestion for l day

stopover on a cruise. Is it possible to tour on my own. How do

I get from Port to points of interest. Do I need to join a tour.

We have 5 people( 3 adults & 2 teenagers). Any suggested

itineary.

Also, is Pisa very close to Florence? How can you go from one

place to the other, and how long would that take ? is it too much

to combine 2 cities in 1 day?

Thanks for any input. We are first timer to Florence.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

Cruise ships can't get up the river to Florence, so I assume the ship will be calling at Livorno, which is some 50 miles from Florence.

There are trains between Livorno, Pisa, and Florence. You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html using a travel date in the next 7 days to get costs on these local trains.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

If you only have one day at your disposal, I would tend to say skip Pisa and focus on Florence, as there is just so much to see. You can catch a train straight to Florence. Florence is best explored on foot, and everything you will want to see is within walking distance. Arm yourselves with a good map (or pick one up at the official tourist info point opposite the train station) and you could see some of these highlights:

-the Duomo (if you have the energy, I'd recommend climbing up the dome to get the full persective and a great birds eye view of the city), the Uffizi gallery to see the best the Renaissance has to offer (book tickets in advance to avoid wasting hours in line: http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/ ), the Accademia to see Michelangelo's sculpture of David (the copy is in Piazza Signoria, again, booking is a good idea), a gelato at Gelateria Carabe' next to the Accademia, a nice walk up to Piazzale Michelangelo to get a panoramic view of the city (if you didn't climb up the dome) and another 5 minute walk to San Miniato church - beautiful views there too.

If you're into history, you might want to also check out the Palazzo Vecchio, if you love frescoes, pop in to see the church of Santa Trinita and Santa Maria Novella, for more sculptures, visit the Bargello (only open in the mornings, so time accordingly). That's quite a full day already. But you could equally spend it seeing less things, and enjoying walking around the town, Piazza Santo Spirito just on the other side of the Ponte Vecchio is a good piazza to relax with a nice coffee and people watch... Hope this helps to get you started.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

HI, thanks for all the wonderful idea.

I am glad you tell me I need to take a train to Florence. I thought we get off

at Florence.

I went to the internet site that the previous post gives for the rail link

and type in Livorno ( there are 2 choices Livorno Centrale and Livorno

Ferrais). I choose Livorno Centrale and put destination as Florence and

no result come back. Can someone show me how to enter the cities

correctly. Also, I like to ask are the rail times accurate, and will run regardless of the no of passengers that purchase ticket , or they can

cancel anytime they want. Since we have to get back on the cruise before

they depart, so reliability of the train is very important. Also, is the train

station right at the cruise port, or do you need to take a taxi./car etc to

the train station. Seems like to me from your reply, the train station in

Florence is right next to the center of attraction , am I correct? I do not

need to join another tour/or get on HOHP bus when I am in Florence, am

I correct?

Again, I really appreciate all the info as we are all first timers on cruise and

to Florence

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

To look at train times this is the site you should be on: www.ferroviedellostato.com/homepage_en.html

You should be able to get the timetable by looking at any recent dates (rather than the exact date you want to go, have a look at a similar day now, ie. if you're planning to travel on a saturday, look up next saturday's date, etc) as weekends have slightly different timetables to weekdays. Type in "Livorno Centrale" and "Florence" or "Firenze" (both should work, you want to go to Florence Santa Maria Novella or SMN station). There's a train every hour, it takes about 1.5hrs. Once you arrive at the station, it is a short walk to the centre of Florence (less than 10 minutes stroll to the duomo!). I wouldn't bother with the Hop on bus, it mostly circles around the outside of Florence's centre, which has restricted traffic and costs over 20 euro a person! It's much nicer to see Florence by foot.

The Livorno-Florence train is a regular and important train connection, so rail times are accurate but you can never know if a delay or something similar will happen! Strikes do happen too (usually on a Friday) but there is often a bus or something else organised so people are not stranded if it happens (and they are usually announced well ahead of time so people know before). I would suggest planning on taking a train back well before your cruise departs to make sure you have plenty of time in case there is a delay.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

thanks a lot for the wonderful input

6. Re: What wold you do for a one day cruise stopover in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2010, 06:19