We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

California
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

I'm looking into staying here - but cannot find ONE review, or reference anywhere on the web. Has anyone heard/know of it?

http://www.poderelavalle.it/

Looks great - communication is good, but....it is almost as if it doesn't exist.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

Looked into the web site and it seems pretty new....maybe is for that you cannot find any review or comments. It looks anyhow very nice! Location is very close to the city. I know the area so just consider you should need a car to go up and down.

California
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

They said that we don't need a car - as the bus stop (into the city) is

1.5 km from Podere La Valle. That is about 1 mile - correct? Maybe that

is too far to be walking in the heat of June with 2 kids - and no reviews...????

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

Looking into the web the bus stop seems to be that far, yes approx 1 mile. The bus line should be n. 43 and it has from 30min up to 45 min frequency. This line doesn't go straight downtown you have to change on a main line n. 14 to the citry center. If you can pls double check with people at Podere La Villa if my informations are correct. As to walk in the heat of June with 2 kids...it's hard to reply...it depends how "good walker" they are and how "hot" will be the season. I am sorry for not being of much help! But if you need more help pls ask.

California
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

Thanks dany60.

What about La Martellina or Villa Poggio Ai Merli - do you know anything about those places? We are only traveling by train and/or bus (no car) so - easy transportation is a bit important. I understand it is the "Pitti Days" in Florence

during the time we will be there (June 15/16), thus we are trying to stay out of the city.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

Hi Scoutyyy, I don't know personally LA MARTELLINA but I am quite familiar with that area so both for the location and the easiest connection to the city I would say it'a s good choice. As the B&B site mentions, there are some shops around there, a babypark, an ice-cream shop!!! That side of the city allows you not to cross all the town to visit the centre. Bus n.14 main stop is 3min walking distance, and also the bike lane all along the river is nice to have a ride ..it might be long to get downtown by bike but you can still ride in the suburbs.

Also nice pizzeria, called CASA MATTA. This is just a couple of bus stops before getting to the B&B...maybe you can reach this easily by bike. Any other help I am here!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

I don't think there'd be any reason for you to avoid the city just because of Pitti Uomo, unless of course you just wanted to stay out in the countryside anyway. Pitti Uomo is basically a fashion week, where the new Men's Collections are shown off - it all revolves around the Fortezza da Basso (north west of the train station) and really does not affect anything going on in the city aside from maybe hotels near the area being booked up a bit more. The fashionistas tend to lay low :)

If you think that you and your kids would like to spend time in Florence every day, you could look at something a little more central or at least in walking distance to cut down the time (and hassle) of relying on sweaty buses.

Poggio ai Merli in Scandicci is also a nice area but again is quite out of town, you will be looking at walking to the bus stop then catching local buses in and out of town (about 20-25 mins) - same with La Martellina. Would you say you'd prefer to be out of town and in the countryside or be in a convenient position to get into Florence? Both?

California
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

Thanks for all of the great information. We wanted to stop in Florence for a day or two on the way to Monterosso (from Venice). I contacted no less than 25 hotels/B&B's that were all booked and they explained it was due to the Pitti Days and how they are 35,000 more people in Florence that week.

That scared me off and then again, I couldn't find anywhere to stay. Thus - I was looking outside the city, in the event it was super crowded - we could just leave and go back to the countryside. But - maybe I should look on the "outskirts" of Florence???

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

I see what you mean! The city never appears super crowded with Pitti on (as I said they tend to lay low, or maybe it's because they're always watching the shows in the Fortezza) but it's the hotels that get full.

Well, if you did want to visit Florence (especially as a short side trip) and be somewhere in town to maximise your time here perhaps try a site such as lastminute.com or wotif, that lets you search by date and gives you a list of all the places available those days only?

http://www.wotif.com/?country=IT

Seattle
Level Contributor
910 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

Podere LaValle does indeed look lovely, but with such a short stay, if the transportation is complex, it could be a drag on your holiday. Did you try using some of the lodging search aids on TA where you put your dates in and you get a list of what is available? While the countryside is lovely, staying IN Florence is to be recommended, too, for the night time strolls, early morning, etc. However, if you're looking for a bit of a respite (and a pool for the kids): A little further by kilometers, but very accessible to Florence is the place we stayed last summer, Relais Villa l'Olmo in Impruneta. Right at the end of their driveway is the stop for the very comfy and air conditioned bus that goes directly to the train station in Florence--fare was something like 1.25 euro one way, tickets available at the Relais office. Bus took 30 minutes I think, and runs several times a day. Only downside is that the last trip home is at 8 or 8:30 pm, so if you want to do a typical Italian dinner in Florence, you'll need to have the inn staff arrange a driver for you. They do not seem to have a minimum night stay as does the Podere (but they also don't have free breakfast, unfortunately--there's a charge if you want). The village center of Impruneta is walking distance with several restaurants, grocery store, coffee shop, gelateria, etc. Website is www.relaisfarmholiday.com (I think)

California
Level Contributor
123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PODERE LA VALLE - 6 km from Florence - anyone?

I will look into those suggestions. But let me ask those of you who are familiar with the area in June- if we were top stay at La Martellina, right on the Arno, will there be many mosquitos? My daughter is allergic - so that may seal the deal right there.