We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

We plan to drive from Florence to Nice in early August, taking a few days to stop overnight in Vernazza and find a beach or two as we make our way along the Riviera. It is my husband's dream to drive along the Riviera, so we are getting off the trains for a few days to do this. I have two questions. One, has anyone used Auto Europe Discount Car Rentals? Their rates are much better then I am seeing with Hertz and I am tempted, but hoping for advice. Second, if anyone has suggestions for nice beaches in the Genova/Nice stretch of our drive?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

If it's your husband's dream, OK, but one way drop-offs from Italy into France usually cost several hundred Euros over the odds.

It's a bit of a hassle, but you can avoid this by dropping of the Italian car at San Remo, and crossing the border by train - a 15 minute ride to Ventimiglia, change trains, and then a ten minute ride to Menton where you can rent again.

The best beaches between Genoa and Nice are those on the stretch between Noli/Finale Ligure and Diano Marina - with Alassio being the most fashionable place along that coast.

A final word of warning - August is without doubt the worst time to fulfil this dream - the coastal roads are crowded, and so most definitely are the beaches.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

AutoEurope is a consolidator that arranges cheap rentals with the major rental companies. It has been around for years and is reputable.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

Hi! I'd like to find out more about this service.

My husband and I will be joining friends in Castillo de Cologne in the Chianti region this coming September. I was very surprised when I called Hertz yesterday to inquire about a car rental and was given a rate of over $900 for the week.

Are those rates typical? I'd also like to find out how long a drive to anticipate from the airport to our destination.

May I inquire as to the best way of getting answers to such specific questions?

Many thanks in advance,

Sue

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

Sue, here are some tools in order to plan your trip in Chianti.

AutoEurope is an excellent company to use and do run some excellent specials on car rentals. Their website is: www.autoeurope.com. They are also recommended on Slowtrav.com. Since, it is a US based company you can telephone them for more specific questions.

Also, you can use www.viamichelin.com for driving instuctions and travel times depending on routes.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

Rentals run higher if you rent an automatic transmission car; considerably higher. Also remember you need to purchase insurance in Italy because the insurance you have at home will not cover you. Some have credit cards that cover some insurance but read the fine print carefully.

Also be sure to obtain an International Driver's Permit from AAA. Cost is about $15-20 but you''ll be asked for it when you go to pick up the car. If you get stopped for any reason and you don't have one you can be fined.

AutoEurope is a very reputable broker and get most of their cars from Hertz or Avis. We've rented from them several times.

italybound@verizon.net

miami beach
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

...if you have done your 'home-work' not sure if you came accross Kemwell car rentals...i've always had good luck with rates! of course we usually rent for at least a week, but it's worth a try....good luck and i'm sure with all the postings and suggestions you'll be happy with you end up with!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

Accroding to Verisign : Kemwell & Auto Europe is the same company.

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

you can also try nova car hire. We have rented from them several times no problems.

www.novacarhire.com

West Coast
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

Yes, one and the same. You can get Auto Europe prices (often better) with personal, very knowledgeable service by going through www.gemut.com. You can also download their booklet, “What you should know about renting a car in Europe” free at their website.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental, Florence to Nice? Auto Europe ok?

I've never been asked for my International Driving Permit when picking up a rental car. But it is required in Italy and a few other European countries (Spain and Austria that I know of, but not France or Germany), so I always get one if mine has expired just in case I'm involved in an accident or am stopped by the police for some reason.