We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

Similar to a previous poster, I would need anybody give me some ideas as for the best day that I should visit Siena.

We will visit Florence for 5 days in Sep, and is thinking of taking up a one day guided tour to see about Siena, San Gimignano and the neighbouring Tuscan region. Which will probably be the best day to see the countyryside as we need to make the most of our stay in Florence to see the sights (eg museums and galleries) there also.

Thanks for your help!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

I'll let people who know the current situation better than I do answer the queston of which day is best.

But if you have one day for Siena, San Gimignano and the Tuscan countryside, I suggest that you spend less and do it on your own. Express bus to Siena, stay for lunch, bus to San Gimignano via Poggibonsi, late evening bus via Poggibonsi to Florence.

You won't be in a crowd of people, you won't be herded into a restaurant, you'll be in San Gimignano after the tour buses have left.

As for the countryside, the public buses use the same routes as the tour buses.

sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Siena2010.pdf

sitabus.it/sita-toscana/…20Gimignano2010.pdf

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

If Monday is one of your days in Florence, do your day trip on Monday: most things in Florence are closed, and everything in Siena is open at least until lunch.

Maple Grove, MN
Level Contributor
297 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

Especially assuming that you mean your going this summer you're probably better off doing a weekday.

I have to add the caveat that one day for Siena, San Gimiano plus really doesn't allow you see any of it. a day in Siena alone would probably be fine.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

thank you all very much for your ideas. we'll be in Florence like the following:

Sep 1 (Wed)-arrive in the noon time

Sep 2 (Thurs)

Sep 3 (Fri)

Sep 4 (Sat)

Sep 5 (Sun)

Sep 6 (Mon) - return to Rome

Which will be the best day to go outside of town? Of course, we'd like to see as much of Florence as possible while we are as well greedy to have a glimpse of the countryside.

Thanks very much.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

Between those days I'm honestly not sure it matters. One thing to keep in mind is that in siena on Sunday, the Duomo doesn't open until 1pm. Otherwise, pretty much everything in the center seemed open but if your plan is to go to Siena early then go to San Gimignano, you might keep that in mind. I might suggest doing it on the third day or so of your stay in Florence to kind of break up the city with the day in smaller places. But that's more of a personal choice. Florence and Siena are both busy cities pretty much every day....

One thing you could do is if you do decide to do it yourself is more play it by ear b/c it wouldn't need advance planning. Say, if you wake up early one morning and feel like getting out of Florence, you can just do it that day, etc.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

Thank you everyone. So I have some ideas what to go with my trip. Perhaps I will go Siena and/or San Gimignano and/or some Tuscan wine region on the Saturday while everything there is open, and we wouldn't lose out anything in Florence either. It might seem greedy to do so many things on one day but that's the time I can spare.

We would not be in that part of Italy in the following few years so we perhaps need to squeeze things tight a little.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

If it's still early September (ie. summery), weekends in Siena can actually be so lovely and quiet, especially the mornings (as the locals go on holiday or to the seaside after the Palio fervour!). The busiest day to visit Siena seems to be Wednesdays when the local food market is on.

Monday, as suggested, is a good day to be out of Florence when many of the museums are closed, but if you do have to stay in Florence on a Monday there are still many other things to see or do....

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

I have a related question. I would like to visit Siena on Monday, May 2nd, 2011. (My cruise ship will be in Livorno on that day so that's the only day I can do it.) I've been told that weekend of May 1st (Labor Day) is a big holiday throughout Europe. I've also been told that sometimes museums in Italy are closed on Mondays. I'm planning to arrange for a private tour or driver to take me from the port to Siena. So, my question is: will there be enough open in Siena on Monday, May 2, 2011 to make the trip worthwhile?

Florence, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

We went to Siena on a Wednesday and there was the market! I spent so much money!!! It was difficult to find parking,but if you go from Florence I guess there are buses.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you see Siena on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday?

Hi Rosemary! Glad you enjoyed the market in Siena!