We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to seen in Florence with only half a day

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
what to seen in Florence with only half a day

We are going to Rome in March for a week. Thinking a taking a day trip to Pisa (just to see the leaning tower) then back to spend the rest of the day in Florence before traveling back in the evening. What should we see in Florence in only half a day?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

Personally I would forget the leaning tower and spend the whole day in Florence, there is so much to see. However, my husband thinks the tower is one of the more memorable sites of our visits, but acknowledges that it is a real trade off against what Florence has to offer. With half a day only I would recommend the Piazza della Signoria, Santa Croce, a little walk along the the Arno to the Ponte Vecchio and time allowing one of the following: pre-booked tickets to the Accadamia to see David/pre-booked tickets to the Uffizi to see a few carefully selected paintings/if the queue isn't too bad climbing to the top of the Duomo. Whatever you decide on plan one day to return as you will only have scratched the surface of what Florence has to offer!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

Need to get that picture of holding up the tower.....We were in Florence for 2 days and were not able to go to Pisa....oh well, next time.

Anyway, you'll have to leave early from Rome. It's about a 3 hour trip to get to Pisa with a change of trains in Florence. A 06:30 or 06:55 departure from Termini (train station) will get you to Pisa by 09:30 or 10:10, respectively. You'll travel on the ES(eurostar) to Florence and then a regional train to Pisa.

The tourist sites in Florence is in a really compact area, so you should have no problem seeing it in about 2-3 hours, if you walk at a medium pace and don't stop too long at one spot. I would skip the Uffizi and Accademia, you have too little time to do those places justice. As for "The David" in the Accademia, you can see it at Piazza Signoria.

Say you get back to Florence by 3 or 4 pm - from Firenze SMN (train station) I'd walk to Mercato Centrale (Via Panicale and Via dell'Ariento) - open air market; which leads to Basilica di San Lorenzo; then to Piazza san Giovanni/Piazza del Duomo - where the Duomo is located, there'll probably be a long line to get inside so skip it, but if it's a short one by all means go ahead; from the Duomo walk along Via d. Calzaiuoli towards the Arno River; along your way on the right you'll see Piazza della Repubblica - walk to it and take a peek at the Piazza; continue along V. d. Calzaiuoli to Piazza della Signoria and look at the copy of "The David"; off to the left a little is the Uffizi towards the river, walk through the Corridor of the Uffizi, lots of bust of famous artists... Michaelangelo, Pizano, Galileo....; then you'll find yourself at the Arno and you'll see the Ponte Vecchio(bridge) walk along it - lots of jewelry stores. And that's it in a nutshell.....

Train timetables at Trenitalia

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Here's a map of Florence starting from the trains station - Firenze SMN, scroll around to get your bearings, the Arno is to the South:

www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi…

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,573 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

I appreciate that it is a long way to travel from Texas and you may well not have much time to spare. But, you really are attempting the impossible in a day trip from Rome to both Pisa and Florence.

Pisa has a very interesting Campo dei Miracoli with the Duomo,its Campanile (The Leaning Tower of Pisa), the Baptistry and the Camposanto all close together. So, if you are in a hurry then you could just see these in half a day and ignore the rest of Pisa.

But Florence in the left over remains of a day!! This is one of the greatest cities in all western civilisation, the seminal town of the Renaissance to which all our art and architecture owes so much. A city in which the very greatest artists and architects have left their works for us to be inspired by.

The Uffizi alone, stuffed with the greatest artistic treasures, will take a whole day for a superficial look. After that, what do you leave out from Duomo,its Campanile and Baptistry, the Piazza della Signoria with the Loggia dei Lanzi and the Palazzo Vecchio, Orsanmichele, Palazzo Strozzi, Ognissanti, Santa Maria Novella, Cappelle Medicee, San Lorenzo, Galleria dell'Accademia (the original David, the others are all copies), Museo di San Marco (decorated by Fra Angelico when he was a monk in the monastery which used to be in the building), Santa Croce, Bargello, the Palazzo Pitti, Santa Maria del carmine and the Brancacci Chapel (sensational frecoes by Masaccio and Masolino), Piazzale Michelangelo, San Miniato al Monte.

Where do I stop, there is so much to see and admire in Florence - if I had not lost my heart to Venice before I had ever seen Florence I would be devoted to Florence.

Rome,Italy
Level Contributor
526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

Peggy and Robert are right...don't even think about Pisa this time around.Besides,there's more to Pisa than just a leaning tower...save it for the next time.Have a great trip!

Ciao,Michael

USA
Level Contributor
262 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

We had about 6 hours and rented a guide through Vatican City and Beyond (http://www.vaticantoursandbeyond.com/) and personlized our tour with David and the Ufizi?. The guide sttod in line early that morning to get us tickets since it was last minute. She was great, we saw 3 times more than if we were on our own and got an art history lesson to boot.

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

I'm among the many who are not-so-impressed with Pisa. We spent less than a day in Florence; I can tell you what we did...

If you'd like an outline of our trip including what worked/highlights/etc., send me an email at pkelly@triton.net

Jim

retired elementary teacher

Michigan, USA

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

With only a week in Rome you will just be wasting a day trying to 'see' Florence and Pisa.

Save them for another trip and tell yourself you will be back.

Madrid
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

Why don't you consider this:

Take the Eurostar from Rome to Florence at 08:30 a.m.(you'll be in Florence in 1 h36 min). Book it at http:\\www.trenitalia.it

And take a late train back to Rome. And FORGET ABOUT PISA. Florence deserves: a climb up to the Duomo's Dome, a visit to the Piazza della Signoria, a visit to Michelangelo's outstanding David at the Galleria della Accademia (not the bad copy in the Piazza)a walk past the Ponte Vecchio up to the Belvedere, from where to get one of the best views in your life

-together with the view of the Alhambra from Granada's Albaicin quarter in Spain- and then a walk through the streets up to Santa Croce, to admire the interior of the church and the Pazzi chapel.

FLORENCE is perhaps the biggest museum in the world and Pisa's leaning tower is great, but just a photo - And I prefer Giotto's Campanille beside Florence's Duomo-

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

We are staying in Rome in April and wonder if a day trip to Florence makes sense. We vowed this vacation not to keep packing up and moving around, so we are staying 7 nights in Rome, but would like one or two day trips, especially to Florence. Can this be done? Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,538 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to seen in Florence with only half a day

As RobertJ says there is more to Campo dei Miracoli in Pisa than the tower, and the interior of the cathedral is to my mind much more beautiful than the interior of Florence cathedral.

The knock-out to me in Florence is the Baptistery, not so much for the famous doors as for the exquisite ceiling. Pisa's Baptistery is also wonderful and completely different.

Really wouldn't bother with the Uffizi in that time-scale; struggling to see paintings through the crowds.... San Marco definitely though.

But really as people have said it's too short. Is it sacrilege to ask if you could reduce time in Rome slightly and have at least one night in Florence. That wd increase your possibilities considerably.