We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarians on the go

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvington, NY
10 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarians on the go

Can anyone suggest a restaurant or two that serves real vegetarian fare? My wife and I are vegetarians and though, yes - we know you can get all sorts of good things to eat in almost all italian restaurants, we do get tired of having to make a meal out of side dishes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarians on the go

Why do you eat only side dishes in Italian restaurants when there are many different vege options for pasta, pizza, sandwiches? Especially pasta - they use all their in season veges to make spectacular offerings of pasta dishes with only vegetarian ingredients. Pizza can be had without meat and delicious sandwiches with no meat. The "side" dishes in Italy are very different than in the U.S. or elsewhere - you will have many choices.

Irvington, NY
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarians on the go

Because we'd like to eat a real main dish for a change and not have to go on a steady diet of pasta, pizza and sandwiches. That's ok for a few days, but after a couple of weeks it gets pretty old!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarians on the go

Not really clear on what you are looking for as most everywhere in Italy is just Italian food offering pretty much the same options for non-meat meals. I don't know if they have an vegetarian restaurants as they do here in NYC but you could search the this forum for "vegetarian restaurants" (not the entire TripAdvisor but in the search box just above your first post) to see what comes up as it has been discussed here quite a few times in the past.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarians on the go

I'm a vegetarian and have never had a problem to be able to eat really well in Florence or anywhere in Italy. Naturally I scan the menu beforehand to see whether or not the restaurant is particularly meat orientated - I've never had to "make do" with side dishes.

There is at least one vegetarian restaurant in Florence:-

Il Vegetariano, Via delle Ruote 30 rosso.

I don't know what it's like as I've never tried it myself but it is listed in the TA restaurant reviews if you're interested.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarians on the go

Will you be in Forence only? The restaurant in our village is excellent and it has a special vegetarian dish too. It's called La locanda nel cassero http://www.locandanelcassero.com

Most restaurant will have vegetarian pasta dishes, pizza is another option, many serve selection of cheese with different types of jam.

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarians on the go

Hi,

I have some specific suggestions for you.

1) Ruth's kosher restaurant near the synagogue in Florence is vegetarian and the food is very tasty. Cozy atmosphere, not expensive. We had a good lunch there.

2) Il Francescano-Although not a vegetarian restaurant, they made me a delicious vegetarian main course (terrain of vegetables which was beautifully presented) It is a small place with friendly service, frequented by locals, that was recommended to us by the proprietor of our B and B. It is on: Largo Piero Bargellini, 16, 50122 Florence, Italy

* 39 55 24 1605

3) If you're going to Rome, there is a wonderful vegetarian restaurant called Il Margutta ristorante. It is near the Spanish steps at via Margutta 118. www.ilmargutta.it This was one of our favorite restaurants in Rome.

Hope this helps.

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarians on the go

look at HappyCows site for veggie restaurants- I always do before I go somewhere!

www.happycow.net/europe/italy/florence/

on the other hand, the variety of vegetarian pizza and pasta is so big, I always got to try something new.

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarians on the go

Montali Restaurant...check the web-site.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarians on the go

I recently visited a very pleasant "organic" vegetarian cafe which is accessed by crossing south of the river, via the Ponte a Santa Trinita, then taking the left turn just after the bridge (not the embankment, the next one) and going along Via dello Sprone until you come to a small square; it is just on your right-hand side, where people leave their bicycles. Handy for later visiting the Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens. The name escapes me, though it might have been simply "5 Cinque" (possibly the address?).

Irvington, NY
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarians on the go

Thanks, all, for your good advice!