We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

We are staying in Florence in a hotel near the Ponte Vechio on a room only rate. We want to find a decent cafe that we can relax at and enjoy a croissant and coffee or hot chocolate. I accept that most Italians do this on the run but happy to pay a bit more to sit at a table outside and watch the world go by.

Any suggestions?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

Rivoire on Piazza della Signoria, no contest. The best hot chocolate, best pastries, best view. On Mondays, when Rivoire is closed, try Caffe Gilli on Piazza della Republicca instead though it's not in the same league. A cheaper option with really good pastries is that little place opposite the Baptistry on the corner of Via de Cerretani / Piazza San Giovanni that always reminds me of an English tea shop in the back. Really popular with locals, you often spot priests in here too.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

I'll throw yet another suggestion into the mix :- Giacosa in via Tournabuoni - not so much of a view but delicious coffee and pastries!

You might find somewhere nearer your hotel which would suit you just as well, to my mind, these are all a bit on the pricey side but are great places to start the day!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

Rivorie has my vote. I have put my husband there for hurs on end while my daughter and I shop. He says the coffee is the best and no one eveer request that he move on.... my grand daughters say the hot chocolate is the best in the world.

You cant beat the view and watch the passing parade! dont miss it.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

If Rivoire is the great place on the corner of the Piazza, I agree it is wonderful.

One tip though. Don't rely on the menu to tell you all of the pastries available.

Go in and look in the case. I found some that weren't on the menu. I just took the waiter over to the case and pointed. The pastries were gorgeous as well as tasty.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

Rivoire is on the the piazza Signoria at the corner with via Vaccherecchia, and yes, the pastries are delicious and the hot chocolate is legendary. For those who like hot chocolate, try their cioccolata con panna - a rich hot chocolate topped with whipped cream, a bit too rich for me, but I don't like hot chocolate,anyway.

What puts me off a bit is the laminated pictorial menu which I always associate with places dealing primarily with tourists, but I suppose it makes life easier, and maybe they no longer use them.

I think this might be the place LSCats meant, or it could be Caffe Gilli which is on the corner of the piazza della Repubblica and via Roma - that's good, too. I think I would prefer it to Rivoire as it seems to have more of a buzz to it.

Anyway, there are plenty of places to have a delicious breakfast or snack.

Buon' appetito!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

I think it's always best to go into a cafe and order at the counter especially if there are cakes to chose from! There possibly is a pictorial menu but although Rivoire is naturally popular with visitors, it's not exclusively a tourist trap and in the mornings especially you'll find lots of locals having coffee at the counter.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

I agree with ladybracknell on Giacosa it's definitely my favourite spot for coffee & pastry! If it's good weather you can sit outside and watch the busy Florentines go by. I also love Verazzano (on via Tavolini) for their bakery and coffee but it's more of an "on the run" place though there are tables inside you can sit a (outside of lunch hours).

A better place "to relax" is across the river in Piazza Santo Spirito. It's a fairly new place (opened this year) that others may not know about yet, called Volume. It used to be a wood sculptor/artisan's studio and so the cafe has his beautiful sculptures and wood tools decorating every wall. Big leather lounges and plenty of books on the shelves make this place my spot of choice if I want a sit down coffee - also because unlike in many places in Florence (such as Rivoire, Gilli) you don't have to pay extra just to sit down. It's also less touristy than the other spots - so you can soak up a little more of the local flavour!

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

The bar on the corner behind the Baptistry is Scudieri - recently completely renovated, nicely, but they sacrificed that cozy little tea room for more kitchen space.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
970 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

To all the experts out there:

As I always go to Florence on business, I never stop to watch the World go by, but think this January, I might just do that once or twice.

Any recommendations of a super croissant and coffee cafe near the Fortezza da Basa, walking towards via della Scala?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Coffee and Pastry Venue in Florence?

loverofmilan, that area certainly lacks a very good coffee place but if you head down Via Nazionale you will come across Bar Alinari as you reach the corner of Piazza Stazione - unfortunately the view's not great but if you are a fan of southern Italian style pastries, Bar Alinari have the best, including the best homemade rhum babà that you can find in Florence (be warned that these little cakes are soaked in rum so they may not be the best thing if you're on the way to a meeting)! Otherwise, if you can make a detour to Giacosa, it's really not far from via della Scala (Piazza Santa Maria Novella side) I'd say it's worth a visit.

Edited: 22 November 2010, 15:32