We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firenze Musei Strike

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Firenze Musei Strike

It looks like the state-run museums (Firenze Musei) will be on strike from today, Sunday 5 December through Tuesday, 7 December. These include the Uffizi Galleries, Accademia, Palazzo Pitti, Bargello and others. Some of these (e.g. Uffizi, Accademia, Bargello) are closed on Mondays anyway.

Maybe someone - hapagirl? - can give us an update. I tried calling but no answer today. Thought of going over to the Uffizi this afternoon but the cold, clammy weather outside and the warm friendly fireplace inside made me change my mind ;-)

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Thanks, Imprimatur, for the heads-up. Yes, indeedy, the state-run museums (Uffizi, Bargello, everything at the Pitti, etc.) are closed; various web sites report things should be back to normal on Wednesday, December 8th.

For those of you who can read Italian, check out the following addresses for more info: www.toscananews24.it, www.firenze.repubblica.it, and www.nazione.it.

For those of you who may have been left stranded with an Uffizi reservation for Tuesday, or an Accademia reservation for later that same day, take heart and know that lots of other little gems (and big gems) will not be affected. Like, for example, the basilica of Santa Croce, Palazzo Vecchio, the Brancacci Chapel (closed Tuesdays, open Mondays) the marvelous Museo dell'Opera del Duomo ... Open on Tuesday's are the Museo di Casa Buonarroti and Palazzo Medici-Riccardi (among others). If you're of a scientific bent, you could visit the Museo Galileo, which is open on Tuesdays.

Also remember that churches are not affected by this strike, and that there are amazing things to see inside many of them.

For best details, visit the tourist information office just outside the train station at Santa Maria Novella or the one at Borgo Santa Croce (email addresses turismo3@comune.fi.it and turismo2@comune.fi.it., respecitvely. Telephone numbers 055/ 212245 and 055/2340444 (again, respectively)).

Edited: 05 December 2010, 14:48
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Sorry, I've been away in Venice and not a computer! Yes, the strike lasts over Tuesday (Dec 7). I'll post an update if anything changes.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Any news on this? We leave tomorrow for Florence and want to visit the Accademia on Thursday...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

As is said above twice, the strike will run until Tuesday 7 December. There will be no effect if you are there on Thursday.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Is this type of strike common?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Common, no. I believe it's the first time I've heard of a strike lasting longer than 24 hours. Work stoppages of a few hours or 24-hour strikes are more common, but they do not occur all *that* often. Besides, as pointed out in reply No. 1, there are plenty of other museums in Florence that are not state-run.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

No, it's not at all common. The strike was a one-off protest by the 350 people who work in Florence's State Museums over changes to their job contracts which were supposed to have been resolved by now. They chose an important local holiday/long weekend to try to get the point across.

Anyhow, the museums are all fully functioning as per usual today.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Wait. My daughter is in Florence and has been trying to go to Accademia to see David. She was told that they were closed again today. Are you sure they were open? If she gets to museum by 7 to line up tomorrow morning, do you think she'll get in fairly quickly? She has to leave Florence by 10 to catch her flight home.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Hopefully she was fine - when I walked past the museums yesterday they were functioning normally. There probably would have been quite a few more people than usual but even so, it didn't seem too crowded. I hope she made it.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firenze Musei Strike

Thanks, Hapagirl. Looks like my daughter got bad information about yesterday's closures. She woke up early today and got to museum before opening. She was able to get in, see David and walk around for half and hour and still make her 9:15 train back to Rome for her flight home! Yay!!