We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current bad weather

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Current bad weather

Anyone looking to arrive this weekend should be warned that the weather is currently atrocious with snow covering many parts of central and southern Tuscany, and I'm told both Florence and Pisa airports are currently closed. Here in southern Tuscany the A1 is fine but several minor roads are closed. We had to abandon our own car this afternoon and walk home after skidding off the road, which resembled a skating rink. It's currently -3 here so be prepared.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current bad weather

Yep - 30 cm of snow here in Castellina. It's not all bad. If you have chains on the tires and can get to your farmhouse, there's nothing like sitting in front of a roaring fire with the snow outside. Actually, I'm doing that right now. Boy, this roast sure is good! The wine's not too bad either. Enjoy!

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current bad weather

And trains at Santa Maria Novella are all backed up. Lastraniera's "currently atrocious" comment about the weather could not be more apt, and Tuscan's doing the best thing by sitting by the fire with roast and wine in hand.

This morning, frantic snowfall outside the Greater Livorno-Pisa area (and has anyone ever heard tumultuous bursts of thunder while in the midst of a snowstorm? Yes, it happened.) turned to torrential rain ensuring that there's lots of cars stranded roadside.

Right now, the weather's pretty dicey in this part of the world. If you're flying, double-check whether or not you'll be able to; if you're training, keep your fingers crossed that things will be back to normal tomorrow.

Edited: 17 December 2010, 18:36
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current bad weather

I thought it barely snows in Florence and if it does, the snow is all gone by the next day. Is everything in Florence shut down, not just backed up?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current bad weather

I just checked the 10 day forecast because our flight leaves in a week. It looks like the weather will be improving after tomorrow, but I hope that everyone stays safe and warm during this severe snow.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current bad weather

I live east of Tuscany, in Le Marche, and our weather may be even worse. This morning was the coldest I've seen in the twelve years I've been living here. We had about six inches of snow, which is very unusual. Most years we get no snow at all.

It's especially bad because towns are not prepared for this. Most roads are not sanded or salted, and if it thaws a little and refreezes, driving becomes treacherous. Also, snow tires are rather rare in Italy; chains are used more often, but they're not great in conditions where you'll find some roads clear and others snow-covered, so a lot of people hesitate to put them on.

I was watching a talk show tonight where the guest, a prominent politician, arrived when the show was half over because she had been delayed for three hours on the train.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current bad weather

I've tried but failed to post a link to some amazing photographs at www.lanazione.it of Florence under snow yesterday afternoon. Tuscan, I was wondering what things are like where you are for the Chianti appears to have been hit hardest. We were on the train yesterday afternoon coming home from Florence and it was severe blizzard conditions even down at Montevarchi, you couldn't see across the platforms for the driving snow. It was vin brule for us last night when we did eventually get home!

ps: we have chains but the trick is to keep them in the car, not at home in the garage...

Edited: 18 December 2010, 06:10
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current bad weather

Update on the situation today in Florence- although it's not snowing there's still a lot of snow and blocked roads - in fact, in Florence many of the streets haven't been cleaned (ie still piled in snow), only about 1/3 of the regular buses are running and they're advising everyone to avoid driving. Many people didn't even make it home last night and were even trapped on the autostrade in their cars!

franb2 - you're right, it doesn't usually snow like this in Florence so things are a little chaotic. Everything's still open as usual with the exception of some small shops I noticed whose owners that obviously had trouble getting in to town because of the snow blocks roads.

There are good photo albums of the snow all over facebook - "The Florentine" and "Tuscany" pages have got some albums up, if anyone wants to check those out!

I've put some up here, with a few more from today to follow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50564013@N06/

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current bad weather

Here are 32 photos, courtesy of La Repubblica, showing the situation in Florence today, after yesterday's mighty snowstorm, which paralized the City and surrounding highways (38 kilometers of stranded vehicles):

…repubblica.it/cronaca/…

A report of what happended yesterday in Florence:

…corriere.it/firenze/…

Edited: 18 December 2010, 14:58
UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current bad weather

Super photos.- many thanks for posting.

Here's my favourite from the link that >lastraniera< gave us:

multimedia.quotidiano.net/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Current bad weather

Some really beautiful photos and some heartbreaking ones with the damage caused by fallen trees -

I would so love being there for such a special treat - though I know (from living in NYC) the hassles it can cause, it can be so enchanting and beautiful. I'll bet the kids and dogs were in snow heaven.