We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musem Help

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft Lauderdale
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Musem Help

Hello. My husband and I will be in Florence Fri late afternoon through Sun mid-afternoon 4/01-03 this year and need some help organizing our itinerary. Our train from Rome is scheduled to arrive in Florence at 3pm on Friday and our flight to Berlin leaves at 3:50 on Sunday. We want to see as much as possible, and want to at least visit the Academia and Uffizi Museums briefly. I know that many people recommend Academia for 30 min-1 hr, and Uffizi for at least 2-3 hrs, and as we'll be visiting tons of museums on this trip (Rome, Florence, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona) and don't want to spend the entire trip in museums, we're trying to spread them out a bit. This is what we've come up with so far. I want to book the museums asap to make sure we get the times we want and have 1 less thing to worry about, but am struggling with the times/days. If anyone has any input, please share!! We're staying at the Pitti Palace hotel on that side of the Arno so figured we'd save the Pitti Palace for our last day to stay near home.

Fri late afternoon:

cab from train station to hotel (it's too far to walk with 2 suitcases each right?)

check in/drop luggage

walk through town to Academia - reservations at 5:30?? (that gives us a little over an hour, I figure it's late enough that if our train's late, we'll still make it. Another option is Sat morning, but I'd rather not do a museum in the morning with the tour groups, and want to spread out the museums...)

walk through town - do any of Saturdays activities before/after Academia if open and time

dinner around that area (suggestions?)

Saturday:

Santa Maria Novella

Cappelle Medici (tombs)

Duomo

Piazza San Giovanni - lunch around there

Uffizi reservations at 2:30 ??

San Miniato al Monte and/or Piazzale Michelangelo to watch sunset (anyone know what time we should get here by to catch this in April - I was thinking by 5:30, any chance the monks are chanting around then??)

Dinner around there or Pitti Palace area near our hotel (suggestions?)

Sunday:

Santa Croce (we'll do this on day 1 or 2 if possible - I know it's a must! Not sure if we can explore Sunday morning, should we plan on after 12 if not?)

Pitti Palace

Boboli Gardens if time

Cab to airport around 2 (am I timing that right? we've only ever taken trains from county to country in Europe - do we need more time than that for a 3:50 flight??)

Thank you all in advance for your help - I really appreciate any and all input!

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musem Help

You must really be young..........I'd be so tired after your agenda. How do you wind down?

Have a great visit. Took us a full week to do the correct visit and enjoy the vibe of Florence.

Ft Lauderdale
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Musem Help

Ha! I wish we were really young - I'll be 30 at the end of our trip, my husband's 32! I figured it may be a bit too much - I tend to over-plan! I just want to see as much as possible, though understand 2 days is nothing. Wish we had more time in each city - there's just too much to see ;o) Maybe we'll be able to come back some day and do things at a slower pace...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,502 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musem Help

with so little time I would not do the Pitti Palace and Boboli gardens, particularly not the museum -- it is great -- but not in a 1.5 day trip

personally I find the Medici Chapel quite hideous and would substitute the Brancacci Chapel which is the best thing in Florence (obviously these are a matter of taste -- but consider a list of the top sites and adjust a bit perhaps)

if you want another museum besides the Uffizi and Academia, I would opt for the Bargello, which is amazing rather than the Pitti Palace

too much IMHO, but maybe you have more energy than I do --

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musem Help

It's ambitious but totally doable.

Some quick comments/suggestions:

- Accademia at 5:30 is perfect, in fact, you won't even need a booking at that time as the museum empties out around then, spare your 4 euro booking fee and just head there. That way no stressing about getting there on time either. Near Accademia there's a very good trattoria on Via San Gallo called "da Tito."

- DO NOT have lunch at Piazza Duomo! If you want something close by, try Coquinarius just a block away from the Duomo on Via delle Oche or pick up a quick sandwich on your way towards the Uffizi. I fratellini are good for that (via Cimatori).

- dinner near Santo Spirito: Casalinga is a typical family run trattoria with rock bottom prices.

- Sunday: S.Croce, put it on another day, I don't think you'll be able to squeeze it all in if you plan on leaving at 2pm! Pitti and Boboli in one day is absolutely too ambitious, aim for one of these. I would suggest Palatina Gallery.

Janettravels, you really think Medici chapels are hideous? Even Michelangelo's sacristy?!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musem Help

"I'll be 30 at the end of our trip, my husband's 32" that is young! I have never been able to plan a trip this specifically - but it sounds mostly good if not exhausting.

6. Re: Musem Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:15