We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, New...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Florence

Hi All,

My husband and I are going to Rome for a week with a day trip to Florence. What sites do you recommend for the day and where is the best shopping to do in a jiffy? Husband hates to shop and doesn't want to "waste" precious time shopping in Florence!

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Marietta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Florence

Go to Piazzale Michaelangelo for view, Doumo for history and Giovanni's for a great meal...

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Florence

Day only in Florence means missing a great deal out. Take your pick from the Duomo and its Baptistry, the Uffizi gallery, walking over the Ponte Vecchio, the Pitti Palace, Piazzale Michelangelo, a short walk up the hill from Piazzale Michelangelo to San Minato al Monte which has an even finer view.

Any spare minutes can be filled with visits to a few of the great churches - Santa maria Novella, Santa Croce (do not miss the leather School in the cloisters), Ognisanti, Santo Spiritom Santa Maria del carmine just to name a few.

You will not have time to spare to sit down and eat or drink of course. But you are obviously in a hurry anyway.

Level Contributor
737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Florence

You have to find a compromise with your husband; one day is not enough to visit the city and shopping. Walking around the most important attraction mentione here above by other members with whom I agree, you will find plenty of shops. The whole city center is a commercial area where you can find fancy brands and tipical local shops. It's up to your skill to convince your husband to get inside one ore more of them.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Florence

Don't bother.

Stay in Rome and give it the time it deserves and save Florence for when you can spend the time there that it deserves.

Otherwise you will spend all your time travelling and see nothing, therefore waste of a day.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Florence

very easy: the Ponte Vecchio, and its surrounding streets. Madova for gloves, Parri's or Cassini for leather goods, the bridge itself for jewelry shopping (DO bargain, it's expected). One day clearly does not do Florence justice, but I just did it myself recently (only one day allowed from my cruiseship itinerary) and I wouldn't have given it up for anything! If you can make the time, don't miss seeing the statue of David by Michelangelo, but DO reserve first, or you may waste time standing in line. Lunch is great at Mamma Gina's and a Florentine beefsteak at Buca Lapi would top off my day. (I didn't even take time out for a gelato, let alone a meal) How do I know all this? I went to school in Florence 30 years ago. Oh yes, the open air market is just wonderful for bargains. Do hold onto your wallets...very talented pickpockets are all over the tourist attractions in Rome and Florence.

Hudson, New...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Florence

Thanks all, I've printed all of your suggestions and will reference them when I get to Florence. Must apprecated!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
336 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Florence

The Boboli Gardens (may be mispelled) are incredible and romantic!!!

I think shopping was better in Rome by far!! Florence has a lot of leather so if that's what you're looking for then go shopping there. :)