We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

My husband and I will be in Florence from Friday May 20- Monday May 23. I would like to do a full day tour of the Tuscany and I am thinking of doing this on Sunday May 22..Does anyone know if the Duomo and the Uffizzi Gallery are closed on Saturday or Sunday? I plan on seeing more sites in Florence but as of right now, I only have those 2 on my must see list. Overall, are most sites closed on Saturday or Sunday? Thanks!

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

I don't have the list in front of me and someone here will surely know more but the Duomo is closed and churches have limited opening on Sundays. The Uffizzi, Accademy and Palatina all closed on Monday. Some other venues can be open everyday or closed Tuesday or Wed. I chose to do Tuscany Monday.on

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

As noted above, the Uffizi and most other state museums close on Monday and are open on Saturdays and Sundays.

The Duomo is only open on the first Saturday of the month, from 10 - 15.30, but this won't be of any use to you. However, it will be open between 13.30 and 1700 on the Sunday.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

Weekends are busy times in Florence when the city sees a lot of local (Italian) tourists as well as weekend break visitors from around Europe so, yes, everywhere is open, including the stores nowadays too. Some of the longest queues I've ever seen are at the galleries (the Uffizi especially) on Sunday afternoons. There will be some restrictions for church entry during Mass on Sundays but other than that they'll be open for visitors.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,486 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

For other sites, you can just check their websites for their hours/days of operation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

Thanks everyone. I checked the website for the Duomo and it seems to indicate that they are open every Saturday (not just the 1st Saturday of the month).

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

Oh dear, I must have checked an old website, sorry!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

It's ok. Thanks!

8. Re: Are alot of sites closed on Saturdays or Sundays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 08:23