We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

florence to Monaco

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
florence to Monaco

My husband and I will be travelling thoughtout Italy with a car. I will be leaving the car in Florence and our next destination is Monte Carlo. Is it worth taking the train? There are no ships but are there any other great ways?

thank you for your help!!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: florence to Monaco

ColdCanuck45 - what's your budget?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: florence to Monaco

If you don't have a car, then really train is the only way.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: florence to Monaco

There are direct flights from Florence to Nice a couple of days a week by http://www.flybaboo.com/ but they are much more expensive than the train journey.

You could also keep your car and drive to San Remo and continue from there to Monaco by train (45 minutes or so, with a change at Ventimiglia).

Unless it's a Hertz car, in which case the nearest agency to the border is currently in Alassio, a little further way from Monaco but also on the train line.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: florence to Monaco

Well it is only 300 km but the train looks like a wild goose chase. Once we leave Italy I didnt think we would need a car in Monte Carlo for 4 days. So are there options that are worth investing in?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: florence to Monaco

thank you so keep the car longer and further which makes taking the train easier. got it!!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: florence to Monaco

You asked of other great ways. I was thinking helicopter, hot-air-balloon... That kind of thing. If that's what you're thinking of, let me know.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: florence to Monaco

The train isn't quite so much of a 'goose chase' if you take the longer but usually quicker route via Milan, which gives several departures from Florence with journey times of around six hours 40 minutes with changes only at Milan and Ventimiglia. The trenitalia website http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html doesn't offer this route as it is more expensive (€83.30) than journeys via Pisa. But it can be bought in Florence, or online in two halves split at Milan. The connection time in Milan is, however, only 25 minutes - and missing the train out to Ventimiglia (unlikely, but possible) would mean a considerable increase in journey time. Or you can leave Florence earlier with a longer journey time.

Certainly cutting the train journey down to a total of 45 minutes by dropping your car off in San Remo would be more pleasant for some people. You will, however, also need a short taxi-ride in San Remo, as the rental agencies are the other side of town from the train station.

A taxi from a San Remo rental agency direct to Ventimiglia station (around 30 minutes) would increase cost considerably, but would reduce the train journey to Monaco to just one train taking only around 25 minutes, and those trains run every half-hour for much of the day.

Edited: 23 June 2011, 23:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: florence to Monaco

Ok so which car agency would allow a pick up in Rome at Divinci airport and a drop off at San Remo? Anyone know if they all do or just Hertz?

thank you

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: florence to Monaco

Any of the majors e.g. Avis, Europcar. Except Hertz for which the nearest drop-off is Alassio.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: florence to Monaco

So is Imperia the same as Sanremo. I can find a place in Imperia to drop off a vehicle in Italy as the last stop before the border but someone said Sanremo. Then we will have to cab to the train station and take the train onto Monte Carlo. Looks like it is possible just have to organize the rental now from Rome FCO to the drop off location. Thanks everyone.