We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bistecca alla fiorentina?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bistecca alla fiorentina?

We will be in Florence later this month and want to order bistecca alla fiorentina, but every picture I've seen of them or book I've read mentioning them, make them appear to be huge, much larger than most steak cuts in the states. Do we order one to share,alla family style? Or are they actually served in smaller portions than the butcher cuts you see on tv?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

Yes, they are huge and are meant to be shared. We had 2 the other night amongst 8 adults (and some big eaters). They are sold by the "etto" (or 100 grams = approx. 1/4 lb) generally and they should bring it out for you to see first for size approval. So be careful, look at the menu and see the euros/etto - for example 8 euros/etto, and know that this is not the final price for the steak. When they show to you, ask how much it weighs "Quanit etti?", then you can figure approximate cost.

BTW - quite delicious and simply prepared. Salt, pepper and olive oil, cooked over a wood fire. They will be quite rare as well.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

Cat is right on - definitely to be shared! We shared one among 4 people and couldn't finish it (along with everything else we ordered). If you are looking for a good place in Florence to have it, we loved Sostanza.

Have a great trip!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

ooops to above. It should read "Quanti etti?" not "Quanit"

kansas
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

Thank you both for the helpful information!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

There's a bit of history and so on here to add to your enjoyment: www.chianti.info/bisteccaallafiorentina.htm The cooking instructions seem quite good to me, just in case you decide to cook your own bistecca one day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,269 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

They are huge, as already said, and be prepared for them to be served quite rare. The waiter will slice and serve it usually.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

And as mentioned in the above link, the beef should ideally be a "Chianina" - the white beef cow that you will see throughout the Val di Chiana.

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

Sounds great! Any recommended restaurants that serve it?

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

Sounds great! Any recommended restaurants that serve it?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bistecca alla fiorentina?

I think Engred & Sirlawrence recommended "Sostanza".

I have never had it in Florence proper, so I can't recommend a place there.