We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused over itinerary and plans

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Confused over itinerary and plans

Hi

We are travelling to Rome (from Singapore) next month for 10 days and we've not made any progress as far as our bookings/itinerary is concerned! So far I've only booked hotel in Rome but I now realise I may have to change my plan! We plan to see Rome, Florence, Chianti, Siena and Almafi Coast. We plan to split 5 days for Tuscany region and another 5 days for Rome + Almafi Coast - sounds feasible?

Looking at the above, I guess it would make sense if we went straight from airport to Termini to catch another train to Florence on the day of our arrival, 21st Oct 2011 right?

So I also read that the best way to see Tuscany is really by car. So I was thinking of this -- would appreciate any feedback, i'm getting so confused.

1. Arrive Florence from Airport - check into hotel and stay there for all 5 days.

On day 2, I would rent a car (outside of that zone) and drive down to Chianti and Sienna -- what's the driving time like? And is it possible to do Chianti and Sienna in a day or better to break it up - i.e. 1 day for Chianti and one day for Sienna? Or stay?

Remaining days - drive to explore around Tuscany?

My husband and I are not huge wine drinkers but we love italian food so would want to do some cooking, if anyone has any great recommendations, that would be most appreciated.

Day 5: head for Florence train station and take a train back to Rome and hang around there for 5 days including a day trip to Almafi Coast.

I hope I'm not confusing anyone but this is by far one of the hardest trip for me to plan :(

Any feedback is most appreciated!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

I forgot to also ask -- is it possible to take a train from Siena to Rome? I was reading a forumer asking this Q but the recommended answer was to take a train back to Florence and direct train to Rome? Isn't that a big loop?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

Anyone?

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,300 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

In the 5 days in Tuscany I suggest to spend a whole one in Siena, the historical centre is really precious and apart the main monuments (Palazzo Pubblico and Duomo) there a lot of little churches and hidden spots to discover.

Seeing Amalfi coast from Rome is doable, but not so easy. Anyway, you have not so much time, so I suggest to try.

From Siena to Rome there are no direct connections; the train station in Siena is small and isolated. However it is possible and not so expensive by regional train: one from Siena to Chiusi, then another from Chiusi to Rome. But probably going from Florence is easier and faster, it would also allow to spend a whole day in Siena leaving from Florence in the morning and coming back in the late evening.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

with only 10 days ( and the first and last are always a waste) you really would be wise to not go for more than two stops -- you don't have time to do Tuscany by car unless you want the whole trip to be about logistics. I'd suggest going to Florence first, then staying there 5 nights/4 full days and make a day trip to Siena -- you might also do a day trip to Pisa and Lucca which leaves two full days to explore Florence

Rome could be done in the other 5 nights 4 full days -- Amalfi is too far for a day trip and Rome to full of important things to do to try to make this split -- but if you insist then go from Florence to the AMalfi coast and spend 2 nights there and finish in Rome

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,519 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

You don't mention Florence in your plan. If you want to see the countryside, but aren't interested in Florence then you would be better off basing yourself outside Florence, especially if you have a car.

Chianti is an area within Tuscany and certainly too big to see and visit Siena in one day. Siena deserves a whole day and you could spend a week exploring Chianti and still not see it all, so you need to just choose a few towns.

I think you need to do some good hard research and then make some tough decisions. You are trying to do to much at the moment.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

thanks for all the tips. i'm trying to minimise as much movement around so that we dont have to lug our huge luggages around.

So from the reads above, we'll travel straight via train from Rome Airport (Fumiciono) to Florence SMN train station with a change at the Rome Termini.

I would want to stay in Florence for full 5 days, so I guess I'll have to look for a place in Florence and check it out for 2 days. The remaining days - perhaps take a day trip to Chianti to explore and Sienna another day trip (or as someone suggested, Pisa/Lucca)

Staying in Florence the whole time would make it easier for us in some sense to travel back to Rome via train.

As for the tips on Almafi Coast, is it really that hard/far to get to? Then again, from the map, it looked like i needed to get to Naples and perhaps a boat to get across?

Edited: 14 September 2011, 03:39
alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

I suggets you spend your first day in Florence. Then take the bus to Siena for a day trip ( It really deserves more). Then day three in Florence. Day four and five can be rental car day with a trip around Chianti and on the next day a trip through the Val d'orchia.

You can spend as much time as you wish driving around Chianti as it just outside Florence.

The Val d Orchia is less then a 2 hour drive but driving is half the fun.

Make sure you stay out of the no drive zones in Florence though. I use the airport locations to reduce stress.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

anmjm1: thanks, i read about the no drive zones!!

On the train ticket -- can anyone tell me if i need to buy this in advance? Especially if i want to travel on the fast train? I read in a few places that it isnt necessary but another says it's a must.

Problem with buying it in advance is that i wont know what time i can clear baggage/immigration at the airport so if i miss my train, i'm afraid i can't board!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

if buying ticket at the train station at the airport, can u make seat reservations too?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused over itinerary and plans

synkronize,

When you buy your train tickets at FCO train station you will get a ticket FCO to termini (stamp the ticket) and another from termini to Florence that will include the reservation (seat assignment).

You can train from Siena to Rome http://www.trenitalia.com/ , going back to Florence is not faster just more expensive. You can bus Siena to Rome http://www.sena.it/index_e.htm .

I would not do daytrips from Florence with a car because of traffic, ZTLs, one way streets, taxi lanes, etc.

You can bus from Florence to Siena sitabus.it/sita-toscana/…20Siena.pdf

You can train to Lucca and Pisa.