We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic fines in italy

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
12 posts
Save Topic
Traffic fines in italy

I've just received three traffic infringement fines while travelling through Italy in a Hertz hire car. The fines arrived 12 months after we were there.

One was for 'driving in a limited traffic area without authorisation' and tow 'circulated on roads reserved for other vehicles and indicated by traffic signs'.

On all occasions I used GPS for directions so find it hard to believe that am responsible for these infringements.

The company collecting the money is Nivi Credit and fines total 300 euros.

Do anyone know if this is a scam?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic fines in italy

It is not a scam. GPS directions notoriously take *no* account of limited-traffic areas (ZTLs) and things like restricted bus lanes.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic fines in italy

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k445…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Reading up on the traffic laws/regulations before you travel to country is advised to avoid these sorts of fines - depending on a GPS to tell you this information is a disastrous decision.

Photos are taken of all cars going through limited zones (so, no, there is no tourist scam here) - it takes photos of all cars (locals and tourists) and then fines are sent.

There are a ton of threads on this very subject here on TA. Driving in nearly every city is restricted in significants ways and it is most often advised to not drive at all in cities.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic fines in italy

GPS is not precise enough for this kind of thing. You have to observe the traffic signs. There's information you might want to take into account here: bella-toscana.com/traffic_violations_italy.h…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic fines in italy

While GPS directions themselves are very precise, the database does not take into account restricted traffic zones. Unfortunately, you have fallen into the trap that happens to many visiting drivers. I wish the rental car company could do a better job and inform foreign visitors of these zones with a map, or at least alert them of the zone's existence.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic fines in italy

Sammyfloyd: in how many languages should the rental car companies be able to speak in order to warn all travelers about this issue which is very easy to learn about if someone simply does what they should do (as a responsible driver) when traveling anywhere: research that country's traffic/driving laws and regulations. I do it each time I travel somewhere new - takes just minutes. I print out the info and take it with me so I don't screw up.

When tourists rent cars in the U.S. (or elsewhere) do you honestly believe the rental car agents are informing them about important (which they all are) laws and regulations for driving here in New York for example; which, by the way, has different laws than in Los Angeles in some cases.

Why should the rental company be responsible for a driver's education?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic fines in italy

MomCat1992 is absolutely correct. Since when is it the rental company's responsibility to educate its customers.

Visitors to foreign cities, especially visitors who use this excellent forum, have no excuse for not knowing what they're getting into before they leave home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic fines in italy

I'm trying to imagine an Italian, non-English speaking traveler here in NYC renting a car and being lucky enough to get the basic contract information. At least english speaking visitors to other countries are fortunate to find enough people who speak English to function and get by. I always feel so badly when I see foreign travelers here struggling just to get from one place to another will little or no english.

Personally, I think many english speaking travelers have very high expectations about what should be available to them even in foreign countries. I have read a lot of reviews where the first complaint is that no one at the hotels (in France, Italy, Germany, wherever) spoke any English and how upsetting that is, etc.

No need for anyone to jump down my throat - I don't mean all of them; but I have certainly seen many who do.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic fines in italy

I fear that the first fine was for driving into an area where visitors' cars are not permitted, and the other two were for driving in a bus lane. GPS databases do not know about these restrictions: you have to look for the road signs. Most of them would have been shown in the booklet you received with your International Drivers Permit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic fines in italy

rental companies, especially those at airports, are a tourist business in Europe and where is all this pompous posturing here coming from? The ZTLs are a mystery to visitors from North America and many other parts of the world. Many rental companies are situated within or on the edges of this zones -- Florence being a prime example. So OF COURSE the companies should provide warnings and instructions. Any time something is common and predictable steps should be taken to make it well known.

Yeah -- I am an experienced traveler and know how to protect myself but the world is full of novices -- someone in the business of renting cars to tourists should be proactive about making sure they understand something so 'foreign' to people from other parts of the world.