We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence day trips with a kid

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Florence day trips with a kid

I'm looking for a quiet day trip outside Florence for me and my 10-year-old. It has to be accessible by bus or train, and I'm not interested in the bigger destinations like Siena or San Gimignano. I'm considering

* Orvieto

* Cortona

* Montecatini Alto

Other ideas?

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence day trips with a kid

Hi,

Have a look at the small medieval city of Lucca. To start with there are the walls surrounding the city that you can walk or cycle around, there are plenty of bike hire shops around the city and they charge around 3 euros an hour. Also there is the the roman amphitheatre, Piazza Anfiteatro. You could climb the Guinigi tower which has trees growing on the top and from which you have wonderful views of the city.

mesh

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence day trips with a kid

I second Lucca. My 9 and 12yo boys love it! They love to walk and bike the wall as well as climb the Guinigi tower ( I don't, but they do...), as mesh above suggests. Orvieto would also be a good bet. The underground Etruscan tour is fascinating for them. Cortona is smallish, though they have a fantastic Etruscan museum (as does Chiusi), but not a whole lot for a child to see/do - Cortona can be visited in half a day but maybe if you tacked on Arezzo too? Cortona is also a bit difficult to reach by train as you take the train to Camucia at the bottom and then have to make your way up via public transport to the top (can be quite long for a child).

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence day trips with a kid

Another vote for Lucca, it was always my kids' favourite.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence day trips with a kid

Siena, Pisa, Lucca

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence day trips with a kid

I think your son would enjoy Lucca, especially if you rent bikes and ride on top of the wall. (Don't worry, it's a very wide wall, with a park and a road on top.)

However, Orvieto also has many attractions for a child. When you get off the train, there is a funicular to get up the hill to the town. St. Patrick's Well, with its double helix staircase to get down to the bottom and go up again without meeting anyone going the other way, is fun. There are also tours of the underground tunnels and cantinas carved out of the soft tufa rock over the years.

6. Re: Florence day trips with a kid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 17:17