We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Go or Not To Go in February and March

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
To Go or Not To Go in February and March

After 40+ years of trying to persuade my spouse to go to Florence, Italy, I finally got an "O.K if we go in February or March." because of less tourists and lower air fares and hotel rates. Will we spend the whole week freezing and bemoaning the shorter days or do the benefits outweigh these? We also want to spend 2 nights in Sienna. Any advice much appreciated ... as well as recommendations on your favorites and on restaurants, "must-sees", and B&Bs.

Have planned 4 trips via these Forums and been 100% delighted with advice received

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

Here is my take. If you are interested in art history as I am go. There will be plenty and I mean plenty of great art inside museums and chapels to keep you enthralled no matter what the weather outside. I was in Florence two weeks ago for my 3rd visit. We only spent one day visiting sites we had not seen before. In my opinion because of its size Florence gets overwhelmed by the number of tourists. I decided if I ever return it will be in the winter and I will try and visit more sites that I have missed on previous visits. And each time I learn something new. If you are going to feel cheated because it is too cold or wet to eat lunch in a trattoria outside, then it may not be a good option.

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

Would mid April be a better choice, weather wise?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

If you've been waiting 40 years to get an ok, then go. Yes it may well be cold and wet, but dress appropriately, plan to see lots of galleries, churches and museums (ie indoors), above all eat and drink well in the evenings(research restaurants) and perhaps buy the other half something special and she will remember it with a warm glow no matter what the weather throws at you! Oh and do go to Siena if you have the time, it is truely magical.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

Come! It's one of the best times of the year to visit.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

I went to Florence for 10 days in Feb 2009 and had a great time. it did not get down to the freezing point of water while we were there. We opened the window in our apt one day and 5 mosquitoes got in and we hunted them down and killed them befrore sleeping. Daffodils were coming up in the garden outside.

We spent an afternoon outside in the Boboli gardens and enjoyed ourselves. It did not rain on any of the 10 days that we happened to be there.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 20:34
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

Google map of Flroence in the area whee we styed the Oltrarno. Restaurants and sites marked

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

NW Florence

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

NE Florence

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,610 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

We went in April and it was lovely. I did not feel that it was over run with tourists, and we had a wonderful time seeing everything we wanted. The spring blossoms on the trees were truly beautiful, in an already magnificent city.

Just avoid Easter.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

I was there in a mid March and I loved it. During my visit most days were some low 60 some low50 but at night it got cold. I got only one rainy day which was perfect for the museums. There were tourists but the only long lined were at the Uffizi and Academia althoght my reservations mooted that. I would go back in March in a heartbeat.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

I would definitely recommend visiting in February or March. I personally love Florence at this time of year because it makes such a difference to have the city a little more to yourselves. By April it will already be overwhelmingly busy.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: To Go or Not To Go in February and March

It would be a perfect time to go. The weather would be perfectly fine to tour around the city.